Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some Glock mags not dropping free

Hi

Bought myself a Hera Arms 9er PCC, used. Got it with two 33rnd Glock magazines. One is without branding and black follower, the other is a Glock branded one with orange follower. The one without branding drops free but the Glock branded one doesn't. Bought a brand-new Gen5 17+2rnd Glock mag for those short stages - this one also drops free. The holding tension on DAA PCC mag holders also need to be set up a bit differently because of this.

Can anyone comment on whether there is really such a variance in Glock mag tolerances that one genuine mag drops free and the other doesn't? I don't have all that much experience with Glock stuff as I shoot pistol with CZ mags. The mags work as they should, I just need to be mindful of which mag I start with on those long courses when I need to do a mag change.

Sometimes when GLOCK magazines are filled to capacity, they swell which can cause them to not drop free.  Do they drop free when empty?

Have you tried them in a GLOCK pistol to see if they drop free?

GLOCK will swap it out under warranty.

9 hours ago, RoundEye said:

Sometimes when GLOCK magazines are filled to capacity, they swell which can cause them to not drop free.  Do they drop free when empty?

Have you tried them in a GLOCK pistol to see if they drop free?

GLOCK will swap it out under warranty.

In this case, the one magazine doesn't drop free even when empty. Even less so when filled. And yes, it will swell when fully loaded.

Will have to look into it.

Glock will swap a magazine out under warranty without a proof of purchase, and on the other side of the pond?

I mainly use 33rnd Glock magazines with extensions with my JP5 but I bought some 15/17 round Glock magazines for downloaded stages but they don't all drop free when empty. So for those stages I just use the 33's without the extensions.

I haven't tried other brands.

Went out and bought a brand-new genuine orange follower Glock 33-rounder...and it doesn't drop free when empty. It's exactly like the other orange follower 33rnd mag. So probably there's no swelling involved...

Wet sand the sides until it drops free.  Simple fix for peace of mind.  Also spray it with dry silicone.  This worked for me with a 33rd FDE mag.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, WxGuy said:

Wet sand the sides until it drops free.  Simple fix for peace of mind.  Also spray it with dry silicone.  This worked for me with a 33rd FDE mag.

Thanks for the idea! I tried it on one 33rnd mag and just by a little bit of wet sanding with 320 grit, the mag started dropping free 👍 So it was probably that little bit of friction preventing the drop free.

Edited by sil7z