Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

After Market Triggers.

I'm now thinking about some type of aftermarket trigger for my M&P 5" 2.0.

I'm looking for an improvement over stock.  Where should I start looking, and what should I look for?  I have no experience in this. 

Edited by Drillbit

As I think about which trigger to choose, I have to ask where did your improvement lie with your new trigger?  Speed/time, or accuracy, or both.  I need to stop jerking the trigger and I think something with a shorter pull will help that.    

Posted (edited)

While agree with your comment on " improper technique," I have found improving the trigger in other firearms has improved accuracy.

Edited by Drillbit

I have installed a Timney Alpha trigger in my 2.0.  It is a noticeable improvement over stock. 

My range test, shooting at a IDPA target at 15yds did show noticeable improvement.  Not so many low hits as I normally would have, I believe do to the shorter take-up. 

• 4 weeks later...

i don't have an apex to compare to or ever tried 1 in someone else's gun, but do have 3 timney alpha's in 3 m/p's.   all 3 work fine for me, but i don't shoot in comps.   pull weight went from 5.5ish# down to just under 3#.

Ok, looking to tie up some loose ends. Those that have commented on using the Timney trigger shoe and the Apex Sear have christened it the Goldilocks setup. Which Apex sear? Assuming from a DCAEK setup? How does the DCAEK sear compare to a stock M&P sear when used with the Timney Shoe? First Gen M&P in my case. Two gun matches along with carry usage. Thanks 👍

The sears for M&P are not interchangeable between 1.0 and 2.0. If you want to use an Apex sear in a 1.0 I would call Apex and ask models work. Apex sears and sesr actuators (needed for 2.0) can be purchased individually so no need for a full kit if going w a non Apex trigger shoe.

Just installed my sixth Apex last week. One of the best things about their kits is that you can dial in trigger weight and to some extent the feel of the trigger with different spring combinations. 

If you've never had a performance trigger, the lightest spring set is going to surprise you. You’ll want to do plenty of dry fire and live fire practice before carrying g it or competing with it. You can move up (9) levels until you are comfortable. And presumably back down the weights as you get more comfortable with it. 

IMG_6715.png

11 hours ago, Hammerman said:

Is 4.38lbs really all you can get out of the apex?  My timney was 2.5lbs and if I don't use the sear its 4-4.5lbs.

Can actually go below 3 lbs with a bit polishing of contact surfaces on the sear, striker and trigger bar.

Using factory trigger return spring and heavy sear spring plus a bit of polishing on contact surfaces have 3.5 lbs on 3 Apexed M&Ps. If I used the OEM or Apex sear spring would likely end up w  3lbs or less. Since these are also carry and home defense pistols, opted not to go w lightest pull weight.

Edited by mpom

13 hours ago, mpom said:

Can actually go below 3 lbs with a bit polishing of contact surfaces on the sear, striker and trigger bar.

Using factory trigger return spring and heavy sear spring plus a bit of polishing on contact surfaces have 3.5 lbs on 3 Apexed M&Ps. If I used the OEM or Apex sear spring would likely end up w  3lbs or less. Since these are also carry and home defense pistols, opted not to go w lightest pull weight.

I see.  The thing I like about the timney setup is you don't have to change any springs.  Put the timney sear in for a competition gun or leave it out for a defensive gun.  I am running the pro series sear and firing pin block so that is probably why I'm getting the 4-4.5lbs on my defensive guns.  I've always been more of a fan of the hinged trigger but the factory m&p trigger just kills the bottom of my finger.  I'm glad timney left the hinged trigger.  To each their own.