Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10 round BUG optics division

-JCN-

10 round BUG optics division (P365/G26)  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support a 10 round BUG optics division?

• Yay
    • Nay
    • Who cares

I would love to see this happen as a division. I think it’d be popular and be the other extreme of heavy CO guns. 

I think it’s DOA if it doesn’t get the same division capacity as CO but I would much rather see CO/BUG as the optic pistol divisions than a watering down of CO into SSPO / ESPO / CCPO. 

It’d be very similar to how a lot of people actually carry and T shirt concealment plus AIWB seems like a good fit. 

I wrote a letter to HQ in support of it. I hope, hope, hope it becomes a reality. 

Las Vegas IDPA held a Tier-2 outlaw match this year with Plaques and prizes, allowing only: BUG, BUG Optics, CCP and CCP Optics - all 10 round. It sold out and was a great success. 

13 hours ago, ES13Raven said:

Las Vegas IDPA held a Tier-2 outlaw match this year with Plaques and prizes, allowing only: BUG, BUG Optics, CCP and CCP Optics - all 10 round. It sold out and was a great success. 

Nice! That to me seems like more in the spirit of what modern (civilian) defensive action pistol would look like. 

I'd be on board with that division, I might like CCP optics a little better, but at that point the gun is basically a CO gun anyway. 

It could probably even be 8 rounds, which still works out well on IDPA stages with out being annoying like current bug capacity is. 

I shot a GPA match (this is a new sport being started by a local club that's unhappy with IDPA). Anyway they had a compact optic division with the same capacity rules as the full size optic division. I registered to shoot that division but ended up switching because I was the only one. So while I like the idea of a compact optic division this match made me think it's not as likely to be a success as I might of thought. 

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

So while I like the idea of a compact optic division this match made me think it's not as likely to be a success as I might of thought. 

You might be right.

Part of me thinks that if we had two pistol optics divisions in IDPA they’d both be more popular than most of the iron divisions….

22 hours ago, -JCN- said:

You might be right.

Part of me thinks that if we had two pistol optics divisions in IDPA they’d both be more popular than most of the iron divisions….

I wonder that too, not a stretch to think and it's not really a super high bar to hit. But, I also think part of the popularity of CO is it's the easiest division to shoot well in and the equipment at least on paper gives you the most advantage. Some people wont want to give up that advantage. 

My other thought is how many people will go to the new division to avoid the heat? Locally we can have 5 guys in CO who finished top 10 at the last Nat's. But that means there are 20 Masters here who basically have no chance of winning. And I think every major is minting 4-5 new Masters in CO. If they switch to a new division to trophy hunt is that a good thing? It also adds more trophies for the match to hand out, adding cost to the match. 

I wouldn't be opposed to nuking some of the iron sight divisions in favor of adding more Optic divisions.  

No idea what the right answer is. But I'd shoot a compact Optic division if my EDC fits the rule set. To get me to buy a new gun, it'd have to gain some popularity first. 

I'd like to see...

ESP - allows an optic but major power factor (think self defense ammo power factor, not USPSA major pf).  If it fits in box it's allowed.  No weight restriction.

SSP - the only iron sight division

CCP - shrink the a box a little.  Make a true compact gun division where a 43x and 365 sized gun is actually competitive. Allow optics. Reduce max weight. 

All divisions load to magazine capacity?  Increase max rounds per stage?  Not sure about these two..

Get rid of bug. I guess leave CDP alone 

Edited by MarilynMonbro

On 7/7/2024 at 7:29 PM, ES13Raven said:

How can an outlaw match with madeup divisions be a tier 2 match?

On 7/10/2024 at 6:53 PM, MarilynMonbro said:

I'd like to see...

ESP - allows an optic but major power factor (think self defense ammo power factor, not USPSA major pf).  If it fits in box it's allowed.  No weight restriction.

The potential problem here is those who don't reload will have limited ammo choices. 

SSP - the only iron sight division

I'm not really opposed to only one iron sight division. When ESP and SSP where the same capacity the scores where pretty similar. I think it might be better to keep ESP and kill SSP though. People like upgrades, that's why ESP was typically more popular prior to CO being a thing. 

All divisions load to magazine capacity?  Increase max rounds per stage?  Not sure about these two..

I think the 18 round stages with 10 round mags has struck a good balance. Locally there are some guys trying build a game similar to IDPA, with bigger stages and higher capacity mags. I don't think the stages have really improved, you just end up shooting more. 

Get rid of bug. I guess leave CDP alone 

I don't see much point in bug or cdp as they are now. Bug would be interesting if maybe they bumped the capacity to 8 rounds now that CCP is 10. But, really with CCP being 10 it's basically just ESP now. 

Divisions are certainly screwy as they are IMO.

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

But, really with CCP being 10 it's basically just ESP now. 

Divisions are certainly screwy as they are IMO.

But with subminor ammo! :)

On 7/12/2024 at 3:30 PM, MarilynMonbro said:

Combining BUG and CCP into one division could work if the box was made a little smaller. I think it's pretty ridiculous I can fit a Glock 45 in the CCP box lol

Pretty sure you can fit a G17 too, and a full size M&P but they need a little adjustment. I used to have a custom 2011 that was built to fit that box and it was pretty bad ass.

Maybe we just nuke Bug, and keep the CCP box....But you can have a optic, no cutout of top of the box for it to stick out of. So smaller lighter gun gets dot, heavier bigger gun gets irons and they shoot head to head. Pick your poison. Be interesting at least.