Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use Everglades "Value plated" projectiles?

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2024 at 5:01 PM, Nor-cal_Shooter said:

Anyone??

Haven’t tried those but I did get some very early Rainer bullets that looked a lot rougher than those and they shot ok. They were kinda lumpy looking and weren’t sized very well. I lubed them and ran them through a Lee sizer and that seemed to help. Might ask them about the sizing of them, if a little larger that wouldn’t hurt. Edit:
Just re-read their description and my only concern would be if the plating might not be even making them not round. For practice though they may be just fine. Like I said a guy could just run them through a Lee push through sizer if they were really bad. 

Edited by Farmer
Added

You can probably buy Bayou for the same price and they are some of the best.

Plated at high velocity is usually not great. The loads are the same as for lead bullets usually. The coatings are more slippery than plated and they are nice to load.

I have shot 10s of thousands of plated and have found issues with crimp holding in certain applications.

Not saying don't try them but economically I think there are better bullets for the same or less money.

Might as well shoot the best for your dollar if you are going to load.

On 8/4/2024 at 10:26 AM, Dr. Phil said:

You can probably buy Bayou for the same price and they are some of the best.

Plated at high velocity is usually not great. The loads are the same as for lead bullets usually. The coatings are more slippery than plated and they are nice to load.

I have shot 10s of thousands of plated and have found issues with crimp holding in certain applications.

Not saying don't try them but economically I think there are better bullets for the same or less money.

Might as well shoot the best for your dollar if you are going to load.

I already shoot coated bullets in my USPSA carry optics gun. 

But I don’t shoot coated out of my comp guns or my pcc because it will get lead deposited in the comp. 

So I already have to load some plated bullets. I now use Everglades v2 124gr and they have been great. But was wondering about these, because they are cheaper (even cheaper then my coated bullets, BBI) and in the pic, they don’t look too much “worse”. 

I may just grab a small pack of them and try them out since I can’t find anyone that has used them.  

16 hours ago, Nor-cal_Shooter said:

I already shoot coated bullets in my USPSA carry optics gun. 

But I don’t shoot coated out of my comp guns or my pcc because it will get lead deposited in the comp. 

So I already have to load some plated bullets. I now use Everglades v2 124gr and they have been great. But was wondering about these, because they are cheaper (even cheaper then my coated bullets, BBI) and in the pic, they don’t look too much “worse”. 

I may just grab a small pack of them and try them out since I can’t find anyone that has used them.  

back before coated, I ran through some brands of plated,,, they pretty much all sucked. Rainers,, humm and what ever name west coast was using.. They were so bad they changed their name a few times.. Sizing simply wasnt consistent and it was impossible to get crimp correct,, one bullet would be over crimped the next easily set back.. I eventually drilled a bunch out for fishing weights and tossed the rest. 
The only exception to this was Berry's which were double struck,, they seemed to work fine and I used them in 45 and 44 magnum without issue until they suddenly became super proud of their bullets and priced them higher than jacketed.
So years later I won a free box of Everglades,, the normal doublestruck,,, wasnt expecting much, but the sizing was right on and consistent, they all loaded and shot fine through an XDM and a Sig 226 I used for lessons.
So IMO the common difference was being resized after plating. I wouldnt waste shipping cost on plated bullets that wernt resized after plating.