Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Dropped Gun Question

lndshrk

SCENARIO - Between stages, two shooters accidently walk into one another, and an unloaded gun falls to the ground.

RULE STATES:

Retrieving a dropped firearm. Dropped firearms must always be

retrieved by a Range Officer who will, after checking and/or

clearing the firearm, place it directly into the competitor’s gun

case, gun bag or holster. Dropping an unloaded firearm or causing

it to fall outside of a course of fire is not an infraction, however,

a competitor who retrieves a dropped firearm will receive a

match disqualification.

Must an RO that is officiating at that match be called to retreive the firearm, or could anyone certified as an RO, even one of the two shooters if certified, pick it up?

Edited by lndshrk

however,

a competitor who retrieves a dropped firearm will receive a

match disqualification.

I assume both are competitors?

The owner of the dropped should gun stand over it, and prevent anyone but a match RO from touching it. The other competitor involved in the collision should go get a working RO.

Must an RO that is officiating at that match be called to retreive the firearm, or could anyone certified as an RO, even one of the two shooters if certified, pick it up?

7.3.2 References in these rules to Range Officials (e.g. "Range Officer", "Range Master" etc), mean personnel who have been officially appointed by match organizers to actually serve in an official capacity at the match. Persons who are certified Range Officials, but who are actually participating in the match as regular competitors, have no standing or authority as Range Officials for that match.

Question: Many of the local weekend matches I shoot at I also RO at. In many cases every RO and the RM working the match is also shooting the match. So in walking from stage to stage what if a working match RO's weapon hits the ground?

Edited by bobert1

So in walking from stage to stage what if a working match RO's weapon hits the ground?

Get another 'working RO' to pick it up! See ya soon! ;)

The funny thing about a Level 1 match(local match) is if something like this happens and you yell, "I need a RO over here!", 12 people walk on over.

:D