Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mil or Com

6 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

Looking at these head stamps how would you guys load this as military or commercial?

I've loaded a lot of 223/5.56 and never once though military or commercial.

Here's what I do, ream out the crimp, load the best combo of powder and bullet for my gun.

It is my understanding that crimp is a military requirement to improve reliability of the round and nothing more. I've shot some really crummy "military" ammo in 5.56, 308 (7.62x51) and 30-06. Then turned the brass into some nice accurate shooting ammo by using better bullets.

Point; load em to run well in the gun and specific chamber. And I really don't understand your question.

I have some lake city brass that I've sorted out to make higher quality loads, but everything else (.223/5.56 from any headstamp) just goes in the same bucket. 

I've heard that military vs commercial brass has different case capacity, wall thickness etc. That would only come into play for me if I was making hot loads and then I'd sort by headstamp and work up a load. 

12 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

I really don't understand your question.

I was always told,  to load military brass 1 gr. lower,  than you do commercial brass because of the wall thickness and inner dimensions. You have never heard this before?

10 minutes ago, DesertTortoise said:

I've heard that military vs commercial brass has different case capacity, wall thickness etc. That would only come into play for me if I was making hot loads and then I'd sort by headstamp and work up a load. 

This is what I have heard And it's not that I'm really looking for high velocity of course, I do like high velocity😂 I'm looking more for consistent accuracy Thx

Mil generally has less case capacity than commercial. Somewhere I have a list I made after measuring several brands. I believe it’s around 1+grain of water less than commercial but that doesn’t equate to the same powder measurements. If your loading at max you need to watch it. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 3:25 PM, Farmer said:

Mil generally has less case capacity than commercial. Somewhere I have a list I made after measuring several brands. I believe it’s around 1+grain of water less than commercial but that doesn’t equate to the same powder measurements. If your loading at max you need to watch it. 

I think this is it. In the words of Johnny's reloading bench of YouTube We don't wanna blow our face off

LjAQ7L9-1.jpg

Edited by usmc1974

6 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

I think this is it. In the woods of Johnny's reloading bench of YouTube We don't wanna blow our face off

LjAQ7L9-1.jpg

It seems to me that I was getting greater variation between commercial and mil. Something on the order of 1-2 grains. But my memory isn’t what it used to be either. 

12 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

Looking at these head stamps how would you guys load this as military or commercial? Thx US

IMG_20240525_102542713~2.jpg

If it is just for 55gr FMJ whammo blammo, then 25.0 grains of H335 with the bullet seated out to 2.250” .  If that makes you nervous, then 24.0 grains.

A.  If it is a 69gr or 77gr SMK, then I would look at book max’s for whatever powder you are going to use, and decrease by at least 1.0 grain.

B..Or you could start at the book min, and “ladder up” until the primers start flattening.

Actually it would be wiser/smarter/safer to go with option B .

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

I was always told,  to load military brass 1 gr. lower,  than you do commercial brass because of the wall thickness and inner dimensions. You have never heard this before?

True, but different head stamps always have different capacities. I found PMC brass to have the weakest primer pockets and wears out faster.

As far as “blow up in face” goes, if you are using normal 223, it’s a pretty safe round. Also first signs of over pressure are blown out or seriously flattened primers. 

For accuracy sort head stamps and load using powder ladder. Lots of video on YouTube about developing load and velocity; faster is not better.

For 55 grain bullets I load under max powder, get about 2600 fps 16” barrel and don’t care what the head stamp is. With a good barrel (not cheap factory stuff) accuracy is good out to 400 yards. 

Loading rifle is all about your barrel and chamber setup. No magic best formula.

I’ve had ammo which in a 5.56 chamber shot fine and same load in Wylde chamber was way over pressure.

Edited by HesedTech

How many different brass for 223/556 NATO Does federal make ? I have found LC NATO With the balls And cross in circle. I have found LC 223 And federal 223

I’ve always gone by the idea that if it’s marked with LC, FC, WCC or circle-cross and date stamp it’s mil. If it’s a brand name with 223 it’s generally commercial.