Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SFX with Suppressor

maddmaxx1961

Picked up a suppressor to use on a SFX. During the 1st day at the range I took the slide off and the barrel looked like it was starting to bulge slightly near the front. Probably shot 300 rounds that day. On the second trip to the range shot another 3 or 400 rounds and the slide would no longer go forward. This is what I found. This looks like damage from a squib to me but there was no bullet in the barrel and never any indication of a squib. Looking at the damage inside the barrel it looks like the metal has melted and flowed forward. Has anyone ever seen this kind of damage on a Canik from using a suppressor? This is not a cheap suppressor, it cost about $1500….

IMG_0293.jpeg

IMG_0292.jpeg

WOW that looks awful. I have that same barrel (no suppressor) and your incident has me concerned now. I've had problems properly fitting that barrel into my "old" TP9SFx (came with a barrel with no fluting and no threads), so my concern over that barrel quality.

Aftermarket barrel?, Sure looks like something got wadded up in there, be it jacket, melted lead or a full bullet and then subsequent rounds jacked it up.

Unless the barrel is made from something other than steel, it seems very unlikely to have melted unless you got it red-hot.

Posted (edited)

I ordered this barrel to replace the stock non fluted non threaded barrel so I could use the suppressor. The stock barrel appears to be much thicker so I question this barrel with suppressor use. I wish they made a threaded non fluted barrel.  This is a factory Canik barrel…. 

Edited by maddmaxx1961

My replacement (Canik) barrel seems thinner than the original as well, but I'm not sure how that can be since it has to have the same muzzle dimension to fit the slide as the original did(?). The fluting decreases pressure strength I would expect. My new barrel, although labelled for the TP9SFx, did not fit well as a drop-in, I had to file it to make it equivalent to my original. So I have some trepidation about the barrel until proven otherwise. 

It definitely looks like a squib load damage. That is exactly how mine looked. But if you didn’t have weak cycling and had to rerack it you didn’t notice then I’m not sure if it could be that.