Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major type loads with heavy bullets

Pat B.

I’ve experimented with 135gr, 147gr and 160gr for open major.

technically the slowest burning powder will yield more gas for the comp but the issue that arises is the available case volume with a heavier bullet that has to be seated deeper. I did loads in the 170-172pf range so comparisons are similar.

I found the 147gr and 160gr didn’t have enough gas to work the compensator, basically felt like a CO gun, dot left the window to.

The 135gr was the best of the 3 but was still worse then my 124gr loads.

I wanted to experiment with some 115gr but the needed powder to make PF is higher then I’d like. If we had a 160pf requirement I’d definitely give them a try.

6 hours ago, je85 said:

I wanted to experiment with some 115gr but the needed powder to make PF is higher then I’d like. If we had a 160pf requirement I’d definitely give them a try.

I use 115 JHPs under 10.8gr AA7 Powder at 1.161"  OAL.  Case is mostly full, but powder doesn't spill out when the shell plate turns.

23 hours ago, zzt said:

I use 115 JHPs under 10.8gr AA7 Powder at 1.161"  OAL.  Case is mostly full, but powder doesn't spill out when the shell plate turns.

this is my open load. 10.6 1.160

There's powder combos that work, but you're closer to pressure spikes, running less gas to the comp, and just increasing recoil for no reason. 

A moderate +p 147gr load is easy with most powders. Going beyond that is sketchy without a benefit.