Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1100 indexing problems.

I have a Dillon 1100 with Mark 7. When it indexes it is short of the stop and then it jolts to the final position. This causes major spills. You know…. I’ve tried adjusting the shell plate tightness, the adjustment screw in the back but nothing. Am I missing something? See the link. When it calibrates, it indexes perfectly. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/-DG5TOCkzhA?si=5DyXuO0-8sPaHQZH

Edited by Chapo

ok... may seem a little odd,  if my 650 fails to index to the next station

it will not pop forward as yours does. 

so what causes it to finish the index?

I know it is what you are looking to see, but it is about half your problem.

The first thing I'd look for is the positive index mechanism. 

it should push the shell pate a bit further...

I can't measure it, but the move to proper position looks like about half the indexing ball

(if that is a ball...)

miranda

In my case I have an auto drive and I think the torque in it forces the plate to move forward.  Not sure on yours….

1 hour ago, Chapo said:

In my case I have an auto drive and I think the torque in it forces the plate to move forward.  Not sure on yours….

the 650 has a triangle shaped ramp that moves the shell plate about a fifth of a turn.

during the downstroke of the plate.   On a drop head press like yours,

I would think on the tool head rising.  your vid shows it that way.

I do assume you have a groove or ramp that advances the shell plate.

And that is not much of an assumption. 

The question is can you adjust that item on your press...

miranda

4 hours ago, Chapo said:

I have a Dillon 1100 with Mark 7. When it indexes it is short of the stop and then it jolts to the final position. This causes major spills. You know…. I’ve tried adjusting the shell plate tightness, the adjustment screw in the back but nothing. Am I missing something? See the link. When it calibrates, it indexes perfectly. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/-DG5TOCkzhA?si=5DyXuO0-8sPaHQZH

Have you tried putting the autodrive in "neutral" and operating the 1100 manually to see if you feel any resistance/issue during the full stroke?

🤔

Posted (edited)

Thanks all. I manually pulled the belt forwards and back a few times, then ran the calibration a few times and back to new. Issue solved. Thanks again, HOGRIDER

Edited by Chapo

Just now, RangerTrace said:

That's not how it works.  Somebody might run into the same issue and want to ask you or some of the other posters questions.  

👍

• 3 weeks later...

@Chapo,

What ended up being the problem?

I just installed my autodrive on my RL1100 this weekend, and after working fine for 5,000 cases, I cleaned the press and now it won't index the plate the last quarter inch.  It looks like in your video, but it doesn't end up snapping into place, it stops short, and the press torques out on the downward stroke when the locator pin hits the shellplate.  It will work for a few strokes, then it comes up short.

Thanks all,
It looks like the problem is solved.  I don't know what caused it to start happening, possibly the shoulder bolt got slightly bent, as suggested by a couple of folks.  And, also, as suggested either here or in another thread, I decided to try adjusting the Eccentric Drive Stop about a quarter turn so that the shellplate fully indexed, and that seemed to fix things.  It may be compensating for a bent bolt, I'm not sure, but I'll need to pick up a spare bolt or two to test.  I ran some test cycles and it worked fine, so I processed about 700 cases at 1,000 - 2,500 rph speeds with no problems.

Whew, boy do I feel better now.  Hope this helps someone else out there with the same problem.

-Cuz

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, sorry for not replying before. My issue got fixed by setting the press in neutral and manually moving the belt back and forth until it would stop. This might have done something simple to fix the issue but I dont understand it. 🤣