Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SCSA- CZ and Hammer Lowering

Hoops

Last week I learned that a new shooter was DQ’d after AD trying to lower the hammer on his CZ.  I understand he had never done this and the hammer slipped and round fired.

I understand the DA/SA issue but without a de-cocker, would it not be safer to treat it as SA with safety engaged?

Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Matt1911 said:

I’ve done that to shoot in limited. 

I’m not a CZ guy so not knowledgeable about all the models.  Would it be legal under SCSA to shoot it as Limited and leave it cocked and locked?  

In example a S2 could be shot in either production, limited, or Carry Optic. In production and carry optic the hammer must be lowered before holstering. It also could be run in limited, however this would cocked and locked, holstered.

1 hour ago, Hoops said:

I’m not a CZ guy so not knowledgeable about all the models.  Would it be legal under SCSA to shoot it as Limited and leave it cocked and locked?  

Yeah. It’s just like running a 2011 with the hammer back, safety on. 

Problem with running it cocked and locked is that a lot of people are running the slim safeties that aren’t really made to be used specifically because they start DA and never use the safety. 

When I got a Shadow 2, every video I saw mentioned to practice dropping the hammer safely because you start DA every every time. It’s not a very big risk if you’ve practiced it regularly. 

But yea if they have safeties they can actually use then limited or open is perfectly viable. 

Apparently the new shooter was not familiar with how to lower the hammer.  It was after the match when we discussed what happened with the DQ.  

next time he will be given the option to shoot limited if he wants to avoid lowering the hammer.

Side comment:  Exposed hammer back.  Must be locked and safety on.  Striker fire gun with trigger job and light pound pull…..internally cocked.  No safety….no fuss.  Slap and fire.  What’s the real difference between this striker fired gun and one with exposed hammer cocked and safety not on?  Trigger pull about same weight on both guns. 

1 hour ago, Hoops said:

Apparently the new shooter was not familiar with how to lower the hammer.  It was after the match when we discussed what happened with the DQ.  

next time he will be given the option to shoot limited if he wants to avoid lowering the hammer.

Side comment:  Exposed hammer back.  Must be locked and safety on.  Striker fire gun with trigger job and light pound pull…..internally cocked.  No safety….no fuss.  Slap and fire.  What’s the real difference between this striker fired gun and one with exposed hammer cocked and safety not on?  Trigger pull about same weight on both guns. 

Striker fired guns still have a trigger safety, like the dingus on a Glock or hinge on M&P 

42 minutes ago, Matt1911 said:

Striker fired guns still have a trigger safety, like the dingus on a Glock or hinge on M&P 

I know.  This thought is one I’ve had for years.  Holster covers trigger guard.  Trigger finger not engaged inside the trigger guard until after the draw….same for both style guns.  Striker guns nowadays have some awesome triggers.  I’m not advocating……I’m always been somewhat curious about the difference in competitions.  

BTW…..carry vs competition different story in my mind.  Stock striker trigger and stock hammer fired triggers for everyday carry.

On 4/10/2024 at 8:14 AM, Hoops said:

New shooter or not, he should have been more familiar with his own equipment.  That's not to say an experienced shooter also couldn't have a slip like that as well.  Anything can happen at anytime.

In my eyes there shouldn't be a next time as this should have been a HUGE lesson about safety.  Hopefully he will practice on how to safely lower the hammer whether its the pinch method or the thumb-roll.

Don't get me wrong, I love when new shooters come out.  But they are responsible for how their equipment functions and how to safely shoot.