Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 holster options

Hi everyone I'm new shooter to uspsa. Came from prs to uspsa. Right now I am shooting a g34 but have my mpa ds9 loc on order and should be here next month. 

Wondering what best holster options I should be looking at. Everyone keeps telling me race holster but I'm well certain being a new shooter and race holster probably isn't a good choice. 

What would everyone recommend  for a good holster . I don't care on price as long as it good

Check out the Ghost Holster Hydra P+. Kind of in the middle between a standard kydex holster and a race holster. It's about $140.

Otherwise I don't think you can go wrong with a kydex holster from Red Hill Tactical. It's about $100 with a few options added.

A lot of guys at my local range run the ghost hydra P.  It’s kind of a hybrid.  Kind of race but more shroud for safety and division rules.  

• 5 weeks later...

Hey I know you said you didn’t feel comfortable with a race holster yet, but once you get to that point I have my MPA hybrid set up in a DAA flex holster.

If you follow the steps to set it up correctly and shim it properly with the provided shims, it’s actually really secure.  

There’s also a locking mechanism that you can flip on and off between stages.  

Otherwise, like others I’d recommend Red Hill Tactical.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2024 at 9:06 AM, Dr Mitch said:

Red Hill Tactical, Black Scorpion, Blade Tech, Long’s Shadow, Ghost, Double Alpha

concur,, just look for a decent standard open top kydex design with a bit of drop and offset, maybe a bit of angle adjustment.
USPSA is a game of movement, getting into and out of position.. Smukatelly me, when I practiced was pretty good at getting first shot A zone hits in 1.10 or so.. occasionally a .9
fastest open race holster guy isnt drawing backwards in time,,,  To me just inst worth the hassle and expense to gain what ? maybe .3 of a second on an occasional stage ? I mean many stages you will have some kinda movement before drawing.

The main advantage of a race holster is adjustability; you can adjust it more precisely to suit your draw.

There is a slight speed advantage but not that big of a deal. We're talking less than half a second.

The drawback is that more parts can malfunction/break. They're also more expensive.

If it were me just starting out, and I was sure I would stick with it, AND money wasn't an issue I'd probably go for the Double Alpha Flex race holster. 

Some Divisions have limitations on what kind of holsters you can use. At least USPSA Open, Limited and Revolver have no particular holster rules, as long as it covers the trigger area and is otherwise safe to use. Single Stack, Production and Carry Optics require a more EDC style.

I just a Carnivore in yesterday, got one to try in LO since they were on sale Memorial Day.  Super sweet, easily the best holster I’ve yet used by a long shot.  The carriage bolt design for assembly is pretty smart.  Retention mech is excellent.