Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester White Box Crushing Primers

I'm aware that WWB quality control has slipped recently, but I've never had any trouble reloading the brass until today. I got a bunch of recent production once fired WWB brass, (I know it was once fired because I was there when the officers were qualifying), cleaned it and threw it in with the rest of my clean brass. As I was loading it today I experienced a lot of tight primer pockets and about 10 crushed primers, always in the new WWB cases. After I went through and separated the WWB brass out I finished without any more problems. Has anyone else here had this issue?

Sounds like they have crimped pockets. Got a picture of some? I processed a bunch of misc brass and noticed that some of the WW were crimped while the Winchester headstamp weren’t. Don’t know when they started that crap but it’s real annoying. 

Yeah Winchester has some commercial brass that is crimped making its way into circulation over the last year or so. It’s annoying as it’s not all of them, maybe 1 out of 5 I get from the range. 

Been using FULLY pre-processed WIN brass for years without issue.  The in the last couple of boxes I received, started having same issues as OP.  All WIN headstamped and from a trusted source.

Decided to take 1K and hand check with the Ballistic gauge.  Just over 200 failed the gauge.  They had tight and/or shallow pockets in the area below the case head!  None were Mil with crimped pockets!

Of course I'm now trending to another premium headstamp...........

Seems Winchester's QC of their primers and brass have started to deteriorate significantly!

SMH...........

5 hours ago, fencer1960 said:

I got a bunch of recent production once fired WWB brass, (I know it was once fired because I was there when the officers were qualifying)

Was it the 124gr "NATO" white box?  I got a some of that brass from a friend with a local PD, and I couldn't get the primers to seat.   Sucks because they just switched to that as their training round, and he used to bring me a bucket of brass a couple times each year.  They used to use a Speer round that didn't have crimped pockets,and worked fine.

Edited by ReconNav

It was in a long, narrow box, mostly white with some red squares on one end. Definitely Winchester, I thought they had changed the packaging. It's been some years since I bought any. I know it's the brass that caused my problems for reasons posted above. 

On 4/6/2024 at 6:57 PM, ReconNav said:

Sucks because they just switched to that as their training round, and he used to bring me a bucket of brass a couple times each year.

Yes it does. I'm going to have to avoid Winchester brass in the future when I'm scrounging after matches. 😬

Probably their Target & Practice labeled white box offering from last year or so.  They indicate the brass is reloadable but they’re obviously crimped with different head stamps than had been available prior..

IMG_5576.png

IMG_5575.jpeg

Edited by NoSteel