Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anyone know how to fix Tanfoglio Open Gun Issues?

So, I put together a X-Treme limited custom Frame from a .40 cal limited gun and a Domina upper slide and barrel.

The gun was working fine for the first few months. This is what is doing.

-Feeds first round from the magazine perfectly.

- JAM! the nose of the bullet gets stuck on the right-hand side of the barrel chamber during rapid fire.

- JAM the nose of the bullet get stuck on the upper lip of the chamber.

Im running:

-8LB recoil spring.

- 8.1 HS6 under 124 gr RN bullets at 1.160 OAL.

- MBX, Factory K9s with extensions, Factory 170mm 25 rounders MAGS same issues with all mags.

-Tried 1.164 the problem was worst.

-the past two matches have been terrible.

I compete with Tanfoglio in CO, Production, and Limited. those guns never had these issues.

can anyone HELP.

thanks.

Without seeing and shooting it,  this is just a guess...

First things would be to super clean the extractor and frame slot. I mean spotless. Then install the wolff extra power extractor spring. You will struggle and cuss putting it in, but it's worth the fight!  Might seem odd, but ive seen the same issues fixed this way.

Then i would inspect the barrel/comp/frame to see if it's gliding into lockup effortlessly.   There might be areas where the extra 180seconds tanfo factory allows to "fit" weren't enough. 

If its still cantankerous,  you might need to be more agressive and stroke the slide 1/4-3/8" and use a shorter spring.  The extra time / stroke may be needed to allow all the actions to play out in correct sequence.

Brother, 

thanks for the response.

ok so I have already replaced the extractor Spring with an extra power spring.

whats the usual OAL folks are using on these guns. I see 1.140 to 1.160. The gun seemed to work fine when loading at 1.60 but the nose of the bullet started striking either the top of the barrel hood or the side by the extractor. 
Now that you mention it maybe stroking the slide may solve the issue is this a common practice? 
thanks 🙏 

23 minutes ago, Earthpig said:

Now that you mention it maybe stroking the slide may solve the issue is this a common practice? 
thanks 🙏 

Tanfo limited should have come "stroked", but that probably won't fix the issue.

Check to see if the mag when seated is loose and moves up and down. The quality of the machining isn't always consistent.

If it's loose check the mag release and see if you have a worn and thin mag retaining nub on the release. TFs have two nubs, a thicker and thinner one. The Factory seems to have put the thinner one on all newer guns as a simplified standard.

See attached images.

Depending on the magazine you are using 1.16 is about max for 9mm. If you can get 38super mags that may help.

You didn't say, but if you converted a 40 slide to 9MM you must have the 9MM extractor installed, not the 40/10mm.

Just some ideas based on difficulties and solutions I have experienced working with TFs.

On 3/31/2024 at 10:57 PM, Earthpig said:

- JAM! the nose of the bullet gets stuck on the right-hand side of the barrel chamber during rapid fire.

- JAM the nose of the bullet get stuck on the upper lip of the chamber.

BTW both of these sound like a loose mag issue, which why I suggested you check the mag release and mag fit. 

image.jpeg.ddffd2739879ad3d9819a072a1ed77f4.jpeg

thin size mag catch.jpg

Ok Just to Clarify.

it is a Limited Custom Extreme Frame and an Exclusive nature domina 9mm upper assembly. Not a .40 slide converted or anything. It’s a legit tanfoglio domina 9mm upper Slide barrel spring guide rod and slide racker assembled. From IFG 

Does the ejector matter? I figured they are mostly the same on all tanfos. I mean I have 7 and all sear cages look alike only difference are the Xtreme hard chromed ones 

On 4/2/2024 at 12:25 PM, HesedTech said:

Tanfo limited should have come "stroked", but that probably won't fix the issue.

Check to see if the mag when seated is loose and moves up and down. The quality of the machining isn't always consistent.

If it's loose check the mag release and see if you have a worn and thin mag retaining nub on the release. TFs have two nubs, a thicker and thinner one. The Factory seems to have put the thinner one on all newer guns as a simplified standard.

See attached images.

Depending on the magazine you are using 1.16 is about max for 9mm. If you can get 38super mags that may help.

You didn't say, but if you converted a 40 slide to 9MM you must have the 9MM extractor installed, not the 40/10mm.

Just some ideas based on difficulties and solutions I have experienced working with TFs.

BTW both of these sound like a loose mag issue, which why I suggested you check the mag release and mag fit. 

thin size mag catch.jpg

Ok I can see that but I did get a new mag release and it is the thick one.

5 hours ago, Earthpig said:

Ok I can see that but I did get a new mag release and it is the thick one.

We found some ejectors need to be kept clean and even rounded /polished a bit at the hook or not all rims will slide up under them properly as they feed in.  I’ve sen it happen on Tanfos (one of mine) and 3 CZ Shadow 2s owned by others I shoot with. 
Sometimes polishing, or at least cleaning the bolt face helps with feeding. 

On 4/2/2024 at 10:06 AM, johnbu said:

Without seeing and shooting it,  this is just a guess...

First things would be to super clean the extractor and frame slot. I mean spotless. Then install the wolff extra power extractor spring. You will struggle and cuss putting it in, but it's worth the fight!  Might seem odd, but ive seen the same issues fixed this way.

Then i would inspect the barrel/comp/frame to see if it's gliding into lockup effortlessly.   There might be areas where the extra 180seconds tanfo factory allows to "fit" weren't enough. 

If its still cantankerous,  you might need to be more agressive and stroke the slide 1/4-3/8" and use a shorter spring.  The extra time / stroke may be needed to allow all the actions to play out in correct sequence.

On 4/2/2024 at 8:10 PM, shred said:

still on the .40 ejector?

On 4/2/2024 at 12:25 PM, HesedTech said:

See attached images.

thin size mag catch.jpg

7 hours ago, HesedTech said:

We found some ejectors need to be kept clean and even rounded /polished a bit at the hook or not all rims will slide up under them properly as they feed in.  I’ve sen it happen on Tanfos (one of mine) and 3 CZ Shadow 2s owned by others I shoot with. 
Sometimes polishing, or at least cleaning the bolt face helps with feeding. 

Yes after looking at the sear cage ejector the height of the rear of the Xtreme ejector was was significantly different than the 9mm sear cage ejector on all my other tanfos and it was slightly bent to towards the ejector port. Thus wis where the nose of the bullet would get stuck towards. I changed it and will test this afternoon. Fingers crossed