Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EOTECH or ROMEO 3XL

Help me with this tough decision good folks.

I have a TR-9 heading out to me shortly and I’m at the point where I need to decide what optic to buy and I’m genuinely torn. 

Torn between the EOTECH EXPS2 Green and the Romeo 3XL.

Cosmetically I like the eotech more on the rifle…. I think the Romeo may look a little small. 

yes, I’m vain and like how things look. 

I know the Romeo isn’t as durable, but not a big worry on the PCC

Primary use is things like knockdown, USPSA, range fun, etc. 

I may be more drawn to the eotech cuz I like the big glass, have one on my rifle, it’s different and looks cooler.

the Romeo I haven’t shot with yet, but like it for pistol and am gonna put it on an open gun I’ll be using at the same time. 

so maybe better to have same optic on both rifle and pistol…. Or bigger, different, more fun optic makes more sense? I dunno. Wish I could buy both but I can’t lol. 

IMG_3882.webp

IMG_3883.jpeg

Both are great optics and you would probably be happier with either. I think weight and reticle are the determining factors between the two. The EOTech is definitely more of a duty optic, with government contracts and the price reflects that. The EOTech will most likely have the 68 MOA circle with a one MOA dot in the center, while the Romeo will just have a dot, 3 or 6 MOA.

If you're willing to slum it with a Holosun optic (and not look as cool..lol), you would have more flexibility. The 510C is very popular on PCCs. It's very comparable to an EOTech size wise, without being as robust. It has a few different reticle options, 2 MOA dot, 65 MOA circle, and both at the same time.

I'm about to try a 507 comp on my new PCC upper. The window is about .2" slimmer in the width than the 510C, but the setup is going weigh half as much. The 507 comp has eight different reticles you can choose from. From Holosun "2MOA dot, an 8MOA circle, 20MOA circle, and 32MOA circle with multiple combination settings."

If you shop around, you could probably buy a 510C and a 507 comp for the price of one of the optics you are interested in.

For your intended use, the EOTech is heavy and expensive and not the best for a game gun.

I have had and seen too many problems with the Romeo plus the price is not a good value.

Like @Haywizzle I would look at the 2 Holosun choices he mentions, they are a good value and very durable and great for a game gun. Both of the Holosuns can be had in green as well as red.

I agree completely with Haywizzle. I have used a 510 on a JP5 I use for USPSA and 3 other PCCs. I haven't tried anything that has made me second guess that decision. For the money a Holosun 510 can't be beat and the 507 comp is a good consideration. The only reason for an EOTech is for rough use.

I found the 510 didnt get bright enough for me during bright conditions. YMMV

507 Comp would be a great option.

I’m personally running a Vortex UH-1 gen 2. I prefer it over the Eotech due to having no shroud giving it a cleaner sight picture.