Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Ammo For Marvel Unit 1?

rtr

I have a Marvel Unit 1, it's a bit finnicky with ammo. I'm looking for something available in bulk packs, that is not lead (ie copper jacket, plate, wash, etc.) and isn't too expensive. What has worked for you?

buy the case of CCI miny mag 'non hollow point. $210 + or - is a good price .

used to get it for $180 a case.

I will use two + cases a year + a couple of cases of CCI standard for past 45 yards.

It is 99.9999 % reliable. out of 1,000 one may be bad.

On Rem ,Fed or Win I see it at 98% =two or three out of 100 is bad average

One year with five diferent Win. lots it had 20% failure Each mag o f 10 woul dhave two that were bad.

This was in four diferent guns.

I have a Marvel Unit 1, it's a bit finnicky with ammo. I'm looking for something available in bulk packs, that is not lead (ie copper jacket, plate, wash, etc.) and isn't too expensive. What has worked for you?

Believe it or not CCI Blazer works pretty darn good in mine, just keep both the gun and

the ammo warm (long story)

But also.....check your chamber for battering, mine had become "out of round" with the

breach face battering actually closing in the entry hole, more so at the extractor groove

side. Quick swipe with the right reamer and alot of extraction issues went away.

marvel recommends you not to use a jacketed bullet and shoot lead only, but whatever its your conversion...

are you sure its the ammo and not the mags? i use the kimber 22 mags in my marvel unit 1 conversion kit and it runs like a bat out of hell. as far as ammo goes ive been using the Wolf match 22 stuff, runs really good and very accuracte. the only "bad" thing is that it is very well lubed and it runs at standard velocities so if you up't the recoil springs it wont work.

CCI Mini Mags didn't work in mine (and I have a case of it). It seemed to stick in the chamber and make extraction iffy. I used the Wolf match 22s a friend gave me and it worked great. Haven't shot it for serious accurracy yet.

Bill