Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smithfield (AKA Springfield) Armory Prodigy DS modifications for competitive shooting

On the mag pouches, holster, belt, etc, I went with:

- DAA ratchet double belt (the regular kind not the lynx kind)

- BSPS Huron carbon fiber boss holster by long shadow

weird name, but it’s the package with :

- the long shadow Huron holster in carbon-like kydex-ish material

- BOSS drop and offset holder/bracket

- thigh pad (definitely don’t skip this, hanger is pointy otherwise)

- standard/stock belt mount for the hanger (didn’t want to mess with quick change belt attachment systems)

The holster itself fits the 5 inch prodigy with a 507 comp very closely/nicely. No extra space or rattle, but default retention screw settings are a little soft for my liking.

- 2x DAA Alpha-Xi mag pouches 

I went with the normal style holster even for LO because I don’t have experience drawing from any holster, and didn’t want to start with an open/race style holster. Retention on the 5 inch prodigy seems good enough, I guess, but I’m not sure I’d try doing forward rolls or jumping a lot without cranking the tensioners down a bit more. It does seem like it will do the job nicely for USPSA stuff though.

I will probably order the ball joint thing that goes with the boss hanger; skipped it initially, but seems like it’d be useful for getting the geometry of things sorted out.

I forgot to order magnets, either direct belt mount or mount to the Alpha-Xi holders, but will likely do so soonish.

Anyhow, take this all with a grain of salt, since I haven’t gotten to try a match with this gear yet (or at all, so…). Choices were largely made based on what I’ve seen mentioned around these forums and seen on match or training videos.

Edited by arcsign
Holster fit note

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2024 at 5:19 PM, WindsurferKaren said:

I would like to clean the grips of my Prodigy with something safe that won't harm the grips. My dry skin appears to be embedding into the grip texture. Can someone recommend a cleaner for the grips? I'll use a nylon brush.

I’ve always had good luck using warm water with dish soap and a toothbrush. That’s how I’ve been cleaning my grips on all my guns