Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prodigy project

moose97

On 2/24/2024 at 8:53 PM, moose97 said:

Welp, since I'm a normal human being & have to work, Springfield told me I needed to have a FFL ship the Prodigy there & back. Fine, whatever. I arranged this past Monday to have a LGS send it in for the warranty work. They called me back yesterday and said they cleaned & test fired it & were giving it back to me. I'm sorry, but wtf? I didn't ask for them to clean & test fire. I asked them to ship it.

Anyway, I have it back in my possession now. I'm kind of over it at this point. The LGS claims Springfield told them it would break in & they wouldn't authorize the return. This after they told me directly that they would have given me the return label if I would have said I was home.

I wanted to learn the 2011 platform with it, but now I don't know. Maybe I'll just skip working on it & save for a Priest or an Atlas. 

That sounds a bit..weird. When I spoke with Springfield they sent me a fedex label directly and I just dropped it off at a fedex hub, no FFL involved.

You don’t need a middleman to have a gun repaired by the OEM.  Ship it directly to Springfield and they can ship it directly back to you.  Sounds like someone involved doesn’t know how that works.

1 hour ago, Dr Mitch said:

You don’t need a middleman to have a gun repaired by the OEM.  Ship it directly to Springfield and they can ship it directly back to you.  Sounds like someone involved doesn’t know how that works.

Dr Mitch is correct, you don't need to involve an FFL at all (unless you live in some weird state that has a law that says otherwise). I have shipped guns back for repaairs a couple of times and never had to involve an FFL.

Both UPS and FedEx have implimented policies that restrict unlicensed individuals from shipping firearms.  USPS also prohibits nondealer shipment of firearms through the mail.  So, although federal law specifically allows unlicensed individuals to ship firearms to a manufacturer or gunsmith for repair or modification, and to receive the item back without going through a dealer (meaning no new 4473), that's no longer possible with the big carriers.  It has to be shipped by someone with a special account and they won't give you that status unless you're an FFL.

1 minute ago, ltdmstr said:

Both UPS and FedEx have implimented policies that restrict unlicensed individuals from shipping firearms.  USPS also prohibits nondealer shipment of firearms through the mail.  So, although federal law specifically allows unlicensed individuals to ship firearms to a manufacturer or gunsmith for repair or modification, and to receive the item back without going through a dealer (meaning no new 4473), that's no longer possible with the big carriers.  It has to be shipped by someone with a special account and they won't give you that status unless you're an FFL.

The gun is being shipped by the manufacturer to themselves. Those policies by the shippers have been in effect for quite some time and don't have an effect on this type of situation.

7 minutes ago, 392heminut said:

The gun is being shipped by the manufacturer to themselves. Those policies by the shippers have been in effect for quite some time and don't have an effect on this type of situation.

Sorry, missed the part about them sending you a label.  It's perfectly fine to do it that way w/no FFL.

Edited by ltdmstr

20 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

You can also mail long guns through the USPS. Doesn't apply in the op's situation, but as long as they don't cross state lines you can mail long guns person to person through the  Post office

2 minutes ago, RJH said:

You can also mail long guns through the USPS. Doesn't apply in the op's situation, but as long as they don't cross state lines you can mail long guns person to person through the  Post office

Not in New Mexico, thanks to our Governor! ANY transfers have to be done through an FFL now.

7 minutes ago, RJH said:

Pretty sure that long guns can also mail out of state to an FFL.

Edited by ltdmstr

1 minute ago, ltdmstr said:

Pretty sure that long guns can also mail out of state to an FFL.

Very possible, I have never tried that. I have mailed long guns to individuals in state more than once. I even had to school the post office on it 🤣🤣