Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not taking the time to work out myself what happened?

gmantwo

A few years ago, shooting the area five match up near Chicago, I drew a DQ. At the time I was so flustered, I could not understand what happened, but I was pretty sure I didn’t do anything for a DQ. I didn’t take the time to sit down and go through everything, my actions, to have a complete explanation as to what happened. And honestly, I didn’t know the rules as well as I should. Long story short, I ran my gun dry, but thinking it was a malfunction I tapped and wrecked, and was looking at an empty magazine. I changed bags raised the gun to the next target and drop the slide at that point. All legal, but I didn’t know that at the time. The rules say, as long as the competitor is aiming at targets. You can have your finger in the trigger. I’m 100% sure that I dropped my slide with my left thumb with my trigger finger on the trigger. . Had I taken the time to work out in my head what happened I probably would’ve been able to finish a really nice match. 

2 hours ago, gmantwo said:

A few years ago, shooting the area five match up near Chicago, I drew a DQ. At the time I was so flustered, I could not understand what happened, but I was pretty sure I didn’t do anything for a DQ. I didn’t take the time to sit down and go through everything, my actions, to have a complete explanation as to what happened. And honestly, I didn’t know the rules as well as I should. Long story short, I ran my gun dry, but thinking it was a malfunction I tapped and wrecked, and was looking at an empty magazine. I changed bags raised the gun to the next target and drop the slide at that point. All legal, but I didn’t know that at the time. The rules say, as long as the competitor is aiming at targets. You can have your finger in the trigger. I’m 100% sure that I dropped my slide with my left thumb with my trigger finger on the trigger. . Had I taken the time to work out in my head what happened I probably would’ve been able to finish a really nice match. 

Yeah, that’s not a DQ.

16 hours ago, Sarge said:

Yeah, that’s not a DQ.

er, yes it is.

10.5.9 has no exceptions for "while aiming at a target", that's in 10.5.10 / 8.5 and only applies to Movement.

10.5.9 Failure to keep the finger outside the trigger guard during loading, reloading, or unloading.[...] 

Loading: The insertion of ammunition into a firearm.  Loading is completed when ammunition is inserted, firearm is in battery (slide forward or cylinder closed and ready to fire),[...] 

Having your finger in the trigger guard while dropping the slide to chamber a round on a reload, even if aiming at a target, safe as it may have been,  is still a DQ