Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ftf With New Barrel

dstroyed

I just installed a Storm Lake stock .40 drop in barrel in my 35. It dropped right in and seems to shoot fine except for a few FTFs. It was always a round in the middle of the mag somewhere so it appeared to be random.

Three of us shot it at the range and had 2 or 3 FTF out of about 100 rounds each. We all were shooting yellow box UMC.

Mags are almost new we were using.

We did tap the mags to seat the rounds back in the mags.

I have a lightened striker spring and the rest are stock.

Gun was just cleaned and lubbed before heading to the range when I installed the barrel.

Any help would be appreciated.

Did you ever have any issues with FTF's and the stock barrel this ammo? Put the stock barrel in and shoot a few with it.

It could be the new barrel.

Check to see if the barrel hood has a gap by the breach face. If there is, the barrel hood might be slightly longer which increases the distance between the breach face and the primer.

Then put the stock striker spring back in with the new bbl and try it.

You might want to contact Storm Lake about this before you "modify" anything. They'll probably replace the bbl if there is a problem.

FTF? is that failure to feed or failure to fire.

well if its feed, has to be the barrel, maybe a good polishing will do the trick.

if its fire than the light striker spring is the culprit. I had the same problem using the lightned striker spring. if you reload you may try using the federal primers, and see if that helps, since they are a little softer. If you dont reload, then you might want to try different brands of ammo, to see what works.I just got sick of getting light primer strikes, so I switched back to the factory stiker spring, and learned to shoot it that way. Although it is real tempting to want to use the lightned striker spring because it makes the trigger pull so much softer.

I had a Storm Lake barrel with a similar problem. In general these barrels are very good quality for the money. I had a gunsmith buddy of mine polish the feed ramp and the chamber and the problem went away and I no longer had any FTF. I would give that a try. A little polish goes a long way.

Someone sent me one of these barrels to try in my G35. I had the same problem. It would not feed from mags with the #6 follower. As I recall the feed ramp of the barrel was more narrow than a Glock barrel. I fed OK from older mags.

I returned the barrel as it was not as accurate as my stock barrel.

I will polish it up and give it a try. It looks pretty nice now but I'll polish it some more I'm sure I can improve on it.

I did not even think to see how tight or accurate it would shoot while at the range. I was focusing on malfunctions and how well I was shooting. Never thought or gave any doubt to the accuracy of the barrel. I did not notice any difference compared to my stock barrel just practicing at 15 yards.

I only bought it so I would not have to worry about the lack of support but more importantly I want to shoot lead through it.

What impacte will lead have with the feeding? They lead I ordered will be the flat point and round nose.

I will polish it up and give it a try. It looks pretty nice now but I'll polish it some more I'm sure I can improve on it.

I did not even think to see how tight or accurate it would shoot while at the range. I was focusing on malfunctions and how well I was shooting. Never thought or gave any doubt to the accuracy of the barrel. I did not notice any difference compared to my stock barrel just practicing at 15 yards.

I only bought it so I would not have to worry about the lack of support but more importantly I want to shoot lead through it.

What impact will lead have with the feeding? They lead I ordered will be the flat point and round nose.

I pulled the barrel and cleaned it up for inspection. There is quit a difference in the stock barrel feed ramp and the Storm Lake. I will widen it up some and polish it up better.

I bet that will do the trick. I didn't think it would be so obvious. So much for the "drop in" part.