Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tungsten guiderod wear

A33435

Hello, i shoot a G35 for IPSC standard division.

Shooting 180 grain bullits at pf 178 - 182

Amongst modifications i have a tungsten guiderod

(THE accesoires non captive) in combination with 17 lbs ISMI spring.

Total length = 100.7 mm  / 3.966"

Thicknes     = ±6.14 mm  / 0.242"

After shooting 12.000 - 15.000 rounds there is a severe marking place at ± 31mm / 1.22" from the end of the guide rod.

Thickness is reduced to 5.92 mm / 0.233"

Is this normal? Somebody else have seen the same?

Thankx for al information.

I suppose you would call the wear normal because it does occur on most, if not all the tungsten rods.  Everyone I know, including myself, who has a tungsten rod has experienced the wear you describe.  The wear takes place rather quickly but stops after a certain point.  At least it did in my case.  Because the diameter of the rod is reduced in that particular area, I'm sure it's more prone to breakage at that point.  The fact that it wears at all means there is more stress in that area.  I have about 12,000 rounds through a gun with a tungsten rod.  It hasn't broken yet but I can't say I'd be suprised if it broke tomorrow.  It looks pretty rough.  Someone else with more rounds through one might provide some insight into longevity from their perspective.

I wonder if there are different alloys of tungsten being used.  I have a Glockmeister captive tungsten rod, and it looks like new after oh, maybe 6-8,000 rounds.  Mine also has a plastic bushing on the muzzle end of the spring that travels back and forth with the end of the spring - which may have some influence on reducing wear - or...maybe not.

E

Thanks for the info both of you.

Last weekend at the czech euro open the wear became suddenly more visible. I am the only glockshooter in the Netherlands with the extended tungsten guiderod and had no reference. For security reasons i changed it with a normal length tungsten guiderod for the last day shooting.

Feeling more comfortable now the extended will be in the gun for next weekend qualifiermatch

[Thinking Cap ON]

I just realized that my guide rod is substantially shorter than both of yours - it's in a G19.  I wonder if your guide rods are actually flexing during recoil and that is what's causing the wear points.  I also use Slide Glide on mine, which may (or may not) help in keeping the abrasion down.  

E

I don't think the wear is due to flexing during recoil as much as due to the engineered intent of the rod's slight movement vertically during cycling.  I suppose the angle of travel, thus the amount of wear, would differ between a longer rod for a 34 or 35 as compared to a shorter rod for a 19.  I use slide glide on mine but did not start using it until the wear had pretty much stopped on it's own anyway.  I would think the lube would at least prolong the wear period if not reduce or eliminate it entirely, as Slide Glide is some good stuff.

G35. Non-captured tungsten rod. Same wear. Not worried, see CGR post above. It SEEMED my wear would have been caused by spring compressing while rod is at angle (spring digging into rod). Just postulatling, could be all wet.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like the slide is rubbing hard against the guide rod, and could lead to a more serious problem like a cracked slide which Glock wouldn't take in under warranty (since non-Glock parts were used). Get a stock (Glock) recoil spring. They somehow flex, compared to the stiff metal ones.