Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster for steel challenge production or single stack

SaspDad

Rules say "Suitable for everyday use.  Race gun type holster prohibited".  I'm not sure what this means.  What kind of holster is legal to use for production or single stack?  Would a law enforcement style holster be a good place to start?

Do an image search for 'race holster' and don't get that.  If the pistol is hanging out there by just a little speedo over the trigger guard or mankini on an exposed slide, it's no-bueno.

Basically Kydex or leather to within 1/2" of the ejection port, full coverage of trigger guard and within the distance & height requirements.  You don't want a retention flap or gizmo.

Most people use typical OWB Kydex holsters-- Blade Tech, Comp-Tac, GX, etc.  There are holster hangers available that you can bolt those to that allow for all kinds of adjustments.

14 hours ago, SaspDad said:

Would a law enforcement style holster be a good place to start?

No, since these are usually a Level 2 retention (some type of release mechanism) and may have a fold over strap.  90% of the time you can hit the release smoothly, but that other 10% will kill your draw time.

Cheap to start would be any L1 retention (no button, lever, etc) kydex holster that is setup for belt loop, some type of mounting mechanism, or paddle.  IWB (Inside Waist Band) is both slower and illegal for Steel Challenge.

I'd get a competition belt (inner belt with the fuzzy velcro facing out that you put through your belt loops and an outer belt holding your holster and any mag carriers that has the hook velcro that attaches on top of the inner belt).  This keeps your things on the belt in the same place for a consistent draw.  Mag carriers are optional, but it's convenient to have them on your belt instead of staging them. 

Even if your mags hold enough rounds to shoot more than 1 string (5-10 rounds), have 5 mags.  It's better to have a routine where you change mags after each string.  I've seen people forget to change magazines after 2 strings and came up short shooting the 3rd string.

16 hours ago, SaspDad said:

Rules say "Suitable for everyday use.  Race gun type holster prohibited".  I'm not sure what this means.  What kind of holster is legal to use for production or single stack?  Would a law enforcement style holster be a good place to start?

One of the reasons that retention syle holsters with the press in mechanism is not legal is when the lever was depressed by the trigger finger on the draw, the result was the trigger finger would often drag up and fall inside the trigger guard.  Not safe plus DQ.  Plus they are not what you want for fast clean draw.  I ran a Bladetech holster for years.  Inexpensive and good quality. 

basically, any holster that covers the gun all around in front of the ejection port and covers the whole trigger guard.  I have a Red Hill Tactical holster and they are very solid.  not too expensive and worth it...