Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Munich

Sestock

Hard to stay non-political with this one. But I can't resist 3 observations.

1) All the people I know who slay Islamofascist terrorists are perfectly well adjusted and seem to have no qualms about doing so.

2) Moral equivalence between those who target civilians at sporting events and those tasked to hunt them down. Hmmmm.

3) Mossad agents are not the only ones critical. A member of Black September involved in the Munich massacre has also criticized the movie, stating that the athletes were legit military targets. I guess you just can't make anyone happy.

But I like a good spy thriller so I will probably end up seeing it.

I have to agree with Kelly on this one although I sort of doubt that morality enters anywhere into any of the middle eastern issues, it's all power. Everybody is jockeying for some sort of power, someway.

From interviews I have seen and people I have know, the movie was that, just a movie.

The agents involved on the Isralie side have no qualms about what was done and likely the same is true on the other side.

Even though it's a Speilberg movie, usually pretty good, I will skip this one.

Kelly wrote: "Moral equivalence between those who target civilians at sporting events and those tasked to hunt them down."

Could not agree more. I personally do not think its going too far to call Speilberg's take on this issue anti-Semitic. The movie is certainly anti-Zionist and I hope that Israel treats Speilberg as persona non grata. Again, none of us wish to offend our internet host nor run afoul of the rule against politics, but this movie really pissed me off. Suffice to say, when it comes to the conflict in question, I really do not see both sides at all. Or rather, its crystal clear to me who is right & who is wrong on this one. Try asking a New Yorker who lived there on 9/11 if they feel bad about the war in Afganistan. What's next? - a Speilberg movie defending Osama & the Taliban's side of things?

Edited by Carlos

anti-Semitic?

Did we see the same movie? I didn't see any prolonged speeches condeming Isreal, the occupation of the golan heights or the west bank. He did give 1 or 2 minutes of a three hour film to present the PLO's side. This was by far and anti-terrorist film.

Isn't Spielberg the one who gave us Schlinders List, Band of Brothers, and Saving Private Ryan?

Him? Anti-Semite? Really doubtful.

Schindlers List was supurb and there is no movie that tells this part of Jewish history better.

Besides, isn't he himself Jewish?

Like it or dislike it as a movie. Bottom line, it's enterntainment.

Personally, I don't think I will get a ticket.

Besides, the cousins hate each other. Leave them to their own devices and politics to slug it out.

I was not the first person to find his take on this to be anti-Semitic, though I agree w/ the other critics on this point. However, here are several takes on the issue, including a link to a discussion on his own site. Take a look; hopefully both sides are represented; decide for yourself:

http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,12...1665211,00.html

http://www.spielbergfilms.com/forum/archiv...php/t-3215.html

http://www.nypost.com/commentary/59644.htm

D.

• 1 month later...

Saw it last night. I thought it was a great movie. The message I got from it is that, in the end, nobody knows who did what to start all the pain and agony, but it will never stop until one party decides to.

Brilliant ending.

For what it's worth... I didn't find this movie so much "anti-Semetic" as showing that both sides had their reasons... and despite the initial legitimacy of those reasons, ultimately both sides ended up on the darker side of morality. Personally, this is why I'd recommend the movie: it's not your typical Hollywood BS-fest that leaves the ticket-buyer feeling good about how safe and wonderful the world is. I don't know enough about the historical facts of the situation to comment on that, but I do like the moral ambiguity of the film, because that's reality.