Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17 recoil spring conversion to gen3

mwx40x40

On 11/25/2023 at 5:08 PM, Cuz said:

I'm not sure you can use a gen3 guide rod in a gen5.

I ended up buying a Carver uncaptured guide rod for Gen5 that lets me use traditional gen3 recoil springs.

Got the Carver captured rod and 15# spring on order

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I tried a tungsten guide rod in my G17.5.  It didn't help me at all.  My litmus test for accuracy at speed is a 5 round rapid fire at 10 yards on an IDPA target.  It is pretty much string 1 of the IDPA 5x5 short classifier.  147gr bullets making minor pf are amazingly flat running and accurate even with the stock recoil spring.   I even tried 11 and 13 lb ISMI springs with a .240" spacer so that the installed length would be at gen 4 and earlier lengths, which is the length the ISMI springs are built for.  The 13lb ISMI was just about a running equal to the stock 17.5 recoil spring.  Just take one sight picture and keep pulling the trigger and they will all be in the down zero.

I ended up putting the tungsten guide rod in my G34.4 with a Wolff 12lb recoil spring.  It helped the G34.4 in that my rapid fire group size with 125gr bullets was cut in half as compared to a 13lb ISMI spring on a steel guide rod.   My G34.4 with the tungsten guide rod and Wolff 12lb spring run 125s better than my G17.5, but not as good as 147s run out of the G17.5 with the stock guide rod.