Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sometimes round doesn’t chamber

Bostenelli

Hi there

Sometimes a load doesn’t chamber in my open gun

i check and notice it didn’t chmaber and rack the slide again and then its fine

first hundred rounds only happened once figured I didn’t tap the back of the mag

i didn’t clean it and had prob 200+ rounds theu it and it happened a few times

its a Limcat and I’m using non tuned atlas mags. Shooting eley 38sc. 

matbe new recoil spring?  Stock is 7# should I try a 8#?

Sounds like your mag feed lips may be a bit tight on the front end. Try messing around with that and I bet it feeds better. Other option could be use to a higher ride mag catch so the mag sits higher in the grip, such as a Dawson Posi tec mag catch. 

what actually happens when it doesn't chamber? is the round nose-diving into the feedramp and stopping? or is it getting most of the way in but not fully into battery? 

7# spring is pretty light imho. most folks i know use 8 or 9 lbs (we use 8).

i would check your extractor tension. our 38sc open gun likes alot of extractor tension to ensure consistent ejection, but that also makes it slightly harder for the rim of the round to slide up under the extractor hook. too much tension will cause the round to not fully go into battery. after a few k rounds of break in, i tensioned ours (on the advice of the builder) to just barely be able to chamber a round if i ride the slide slowly forward with my hand, so it works consistently in normal operation.

also, if the gun is brand new, it might just be tight and need to wear in a bit more. our builder told us to not stress about any feeding or extraction failures in the first 500 rounds or so. after about a thousand rounds we stopped having any real issues, and now it's been at least 5k since the last malfunction of any kind.

Edited by motosapiens