Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I watched a movie this evening called "The Invasion of The Body Snatchers" It was a mid-fifties release. Several times gas stations were shown and the gas prices were $.27 and $.29 respectively for regular and hi-test.

And Sig Lady... "Old Folks"?????? I represent that remark :lol: (even though I am a mere lad of 52)

dj

1971/72 I paid .199 a gallon. There were three stations that had a "Gas War" for about a month, normal price was nearer to .30 a gal.

I also worked a an Exxon where the owner was lamenting the passing of the $25 tune-up, Remember though that was required every 10,000 miles, 20,000 was a long time for tires to last and you had a distributers with points and a capacitor.

Almost everyone paid CASH for gas and everything else!

Jim

I can remember .30 or so in the early '70's when Dad used to gas up.

Late '85 or '86, it was down to around .65 a gal. That was cool..drove a 440+6 Mopar at that time. :) Wish I still had that car.

Six Pac carbs? =Cool

I was in high school in 73 I perchased a 1968 Corvet Stingray 396, never could get the 650 holly working right, I couln't understand why my Dad wouldn't help me with it.

I paid $1,800 for it went in to debt for $800 dollars my Mon signed a note for me. I got it cheep becuse the gas price was riseing.

I think I have ben in dept ever since.

I burned out the clutch the second week, burnt off the tires by the end of the first month.

the speed limit changed from 70mph to 55mph before I had it a year

I worked after summer/ after School & weekends as a carpenter helper for $4.50 an hour.

I made more per hour than some of my friends parents.

I was bored with school =it was to slow. I think that year is still holding me back now though.

Edited by AlamoShooter

Boy oh boy I came into this one late.....just finished this same good old days lament with my neices and nephews at Christmas and they gave me the "boy are you old" look I gave my Dad when he let loose with the same old.

My first new car was bought and paid for with summer job money before college and was a 1967 Olds 442. It had as standard equipment a (Rochester) 4-barrel carb-Hurst 4 on the floor shift- and a 454 cu in big bore V-8. It was $3,300 including tax. Kids today will never have that great feeling of putting the pedal down on a beast of a motor like that and feeling what really big torque feels like. It needed points about every 6000 miles and tires before then usually cause the 454 was really not very tire friendly. You could put a five dollar bill on the dash and challenge your passenger that it was his if he could grab it before you hit 4th gear. I don't remember having to pay on that one.

Gas mileage didn't even matter and Esso Extra was $.349 and the tank needed filling like twice a week.

Cheapest I ever paid was $.19 in school during one of the same "gas wars"

Now "gas wars" come with road side bombs. :(

Dogger --- if it was a '67 it should've had a 400 inch motor; the 455's didn't come out until either '69 or '70. I bought my first new car upon graduating high school in '68, a 68' Olds 442. Four barrel, four speed, dual exhaust. 4:33 rear gears installed as a dealer option. It cost me a whopping $3400! Never did figure the gas mileage but it never got more than 5,000 miles out of a set of rear tires!

AlamoShooter,

Yup, 440-6 Pak in a '71 Charger R/T.

4 speed and a gear = 8 mph normally , 12 if I stayed out of it..which never happened.

Back in the days when you could buy them cheap and in good shape.

I was looking at a CUDA befor I ended up with the Vet. A friends step brother would not keep up with the payments and had ben a badder boy tham me so his Step fauther was going to sell it for $800 cash just to teach his son a leson.

I think it was a 1970 model but I do remember the 340 with the six pack carb. He had a new Holley carb and manifold that went with it. every door every window every bolt would rattel. I could feal the front tires louse grip when I 'got on it' probly the only thing life saving I did that year was not buy that car. My girl friend was smart enofe to say " Im not going to ride with you.

I think it,=the Cuda ended up on a drag strip in pices

married , divorced & my daughter turns 31 this month

First time I remember looking at a gas price and realizing what it meant the price was 29.9 per gallon. It was at the co-op so that was probably lower than at the regular stations in town. Could have been a gas war time, not sure I was probably just starting school at the time. That was 71/72 I imagine.

I quess I belong to the 'teenage Corvette owners club'. Bought a 68 427 4 speed convertable when I was 19. It was in serious need of a frame up overhaul, but it was fun to drive around when I got the chance. Didn't care about the mileage. Had some other fun cars as a teen, but the clear favorite was my 71 Porcshe 914. No matter how hard I tried I just couldn' break that car!!! lol It probably got decent gas mileage, but I don't remember ever caring. Not that I could afford not to care, but the price of gas was way below the priority of scrambling for party supplies!!!

:D:PB)