Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TSO half circle barrel bushing gouge

Obvious

https://imgur.com/a/u5T8Z6N

alright fellas hoping the more experienced folks here can take a look. Today I took out my TSO and P-01 barrel bushing. P-01 came out fine, but I had to freeze the slide on my TSO for a bit to get it to move. When it finally popped out the bushing looks like it had a chunk missing, and the bushing bore looks like it has a small sliver left in it. However when I run across it with a scribe I can’t feel a height difference. Is this normal or do I need to find a way to get that bit out of there? Not sure how to do this without potentially gouging the bore with a metal implement. 

1 minute ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

Are you putting a new smaller bushing in there to tighten the lockup? I would think you would need to punch out that leftover piece

Not worried about the lockup, but wanted the slide completely stripped so I could send it off to be nitrided. Barrel bushing needed to come off for that and I don’t see a point in reusing it so it’s gonna get replaced 

45 minutes ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

Mine did not have a chunk missing. I removed them on my CZ75, SP01, TS1, and TSO.

Now im even more confused. I just tried to scrape at it with a brass pick and it very lightly scratched the metal in that bore. I can't feel a height difference running over it with a metal pick, im almost wondering if the bushing broke and whats inside the bore is actually a scratch/small gouge down to parent metal instead of the striations all around the rest of the bore from the bushing. Looked around my work area though and didn't see a chunk of the bushing on the floor. May just lightly polish the bore and install the new bushing when it arrives. 

1 minute ago, rowdyb said:

The barrel can't properly tilt without it

I appreciate your clarification! So if the bushing needs to have that cutout then wouldn’t there be issues installing a CGW bushing? Those seem to completely round and don’t have that chunk missing 

My experience is with tac sports and even when the model was called an ipsc sports. The barrel just takes a ton of extra wiggling to remove and yiu might see more wear on it.

I also don't know the depth of the insert on the cgw bushing vs a stock one. You could still tighten the fit between barrel and bushing but not have it extend as far into the slide.

Having knocked out those bushing to get guns coated they were all like that.

1 minute ago, rowdyb said:

My experience is with tac sports and even when the model was called an ipsc sports. The barrel just takes a ton of extra wiggling to remove and yiu might see more wear on it.

I also don't know the depth of the insert on the cgw bushing vs a stock one. You could still tighten the fit between barrel and bushing but not have it extend as far into the slide.

Having knocked out those bushing to get guns coated they were all like that.

Appreciate your insight. Not too worried about it anymore. Will lightly polish the bore with some 800 and 1000 or 1200 grit sandpaper, then send it off to get coated. Thought it was weird as first but seems like it may just be normal-ish. 

Before installing the new CGW bushing, you might want to check with CGW re: their current installation methods.

Part of the recommended install (what they told me) is using Loctite 638. Give 'em a call!