Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shorter reset disconnector with stock hammer, thoughts?

IHAVEGAS

Didn't want to bugger up the really valuable (and appreciated) pinned Tanfo tuning thread any more so I figured I'd ask this way.

If you are specifically required to keep the stock hammer on a limited pro or similar model (IDPA SSP,

A.1.4.2), and if you want to set the gun up for minimum double action pull weight using deep seated Federal primers:

1. Is the longer amount of reset with an oem disconnector particularly disadvantageous or hard to get used to?

2. Does installing a shorter reset disconnector with the stock hammer reduce the amount of double action hammer travel and make ignition less reliable unless you increase hammer spring weight? 

Thanks!

The longer reset with stock disco/interrupter is no factor. 

Slightly less rearward travel of hammer in double action using bolo. Additional hammer spring weight does help and I do feel it is necessary, as in increasing hammer spring by like 1 pound. This part is really experimentation with your gun set up and ammo.

8 hours ago, Polymer said:

The longer reset with stock disco/interrupter is no factor. 

Slightly less rearward travel of hammer in double action using bolo. Additional hammer spring weight does help and I do feel it is necessary, as in increasing hammer spring by like 1 pound. This part is really experimentation with your gun set up and ammo.

Thank you!

1 minute ago, Polymer said:

I would try and use the R5 interrupter. It will require the least amount of fitting. 

If I am looking at things right, it seems like I might be better off with the stock disconnector/interrupter since rules (IDPA ssp) don't allow me to change the hammer. 

Will see if the reset length bothers me when shooting IDPA/USPSA, I believe that both you and MemphisMechanic have stated that it likely is not a big deal (Seems like I remember an old post from MM to that effect, but my memory has never been great). 

The reset is fine for practical shooting but again I'm not super picky about reset, zero overtravel, etc. Reliability, smoothness, etc is what matters.

Do legit polish job with one piece sear and spring swap. Shoot it and see how you like it. If not, all you would have to do next is fit the interrupter. 

In my experience, the biggest difference fitting interrupter helps is eliminating pretravel in single action. It does make reset shorter and sometimes smoother pull in DA.

1 hour ago, Polymer said:

The reset is fine for practical shooting

Just got the gun back together (polish job, Pd lighter trigger & sear springs, PD firing pin & spring, 12 lb hammer spring). Feels pretty good. Limited pro so oem is 1 piece sear. Double action is about 5 3/4. Will test it out tomorrow, if I can would like to run a 10 lb hammer spring eventually.  

Edited by IHAVEGAS

17 minutes ago, Polymer said:

If you didn't know, with ten pound hammer spring it'll be pretty much federal primers only.

Thank you. Am reloading on a 1050 and deep seating federals, everything works with my guns set up for USPSA (PD hammer and R7, stock 3, 10lb hammer spring). This is my first experience with the stock hammer & stock disconnector. 

6 hours ago, Duck_Duckalo said:

I have seen arguments be made for the PD Extreme Titan Hammer as it can be swapped for parts on another SSP model.

I'm not aware of any model that meets SSP rules and comes oem with the PD hammer. I have looked. 

6 hours ago, Duck_Duckalo said:

Are you shooting Nighthawk this November?

Most likely. Not sure if I will be working match day & shooting staff day or just shooting match day.  

7 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I'm not aware of any model that meets SSP rules and comes oem with the PD hammer. I have looked. 

Most likely. Not sure if I will be working match day & shooting staff day or just shooting match day.  

If I find it where I saw it I’ll share it. Someone, if I recall correctly, used it in SSP in Rocky Mountain Championship. I thought that’s where I saw it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Short reset disco's don't matter, you ride your reset. If you don't, better work on that. 

DA swing can be perfectly tuned like where you want it, it's all done by working on the wing and the feet of the disco.
My prime match gun's DA goes as far back just before the SA hammerhooks.

Edited by DBX1987