Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Full Length Sizing Pistol Brass

TimR

I've been reloading .40 for IPSC and IDPA for years now and have had occasional problems with my reloads chambering. I barrel check all ammo before a match and recently discovered that while most of my rounds drop into the chamber with a nice "clink" that if I then rotate them 360 degrees that they will often hang up in the chamber. My guess is that if they are fed in that same orientation that they could jam.

Well I broke down and got a Magma Casemaster Jr and all I can say is that this is awesome. Yes it does add an additional step but my ammo is now coming off the 1050 at 100%. Not only that but the 1050 runs smooth as silk with the presized brass, almost no effort on the downstroke.

Basically this unit pushes the brass entirely through a Dillon sizing die (decap removed). It cleans up the rim as well. A buddy of mine has been using one for years and he has had perfect luck with it. Even the hard to size S&B stuff is not a challenge.

So if you're tired of getting rejects due to bulged brass and the "U" die isn't cutting it or you simply want your progressive to run effortlessly you may want to give this thing a shot (pardon the pun).

FYI: I have no business relationship with Magma or anyone else selling these. I now feel that no reloading bench is complete without it or a similar product like a roll sizer.

Tim R.

I wrote about the Magma Casemaster Jr. a year or two back in Front Sight. It does a good job, though not as fast as some may like. For those interested, it is an arbor press adapted to push the cases down through the sizing die combined with a manual case feeder.

The cases/cartridges do gauge nicely as a result of going all the way through the sizing die.

Guy

My point on the case checking is this: some case checkers seem to be more forgiving then some of the tighter chambered race guns such as STIs or SVs. The acid test in my book is barrel checking but as stated in my original post, this appears to not be perfect either.

After using the Magma they check perfect everytime, even spinning them while in the chamber. And I'm surprised to hear that Guy thinks this is slow. I run the Magma faster than I can pump out rounds on the 1050. My buddy also has his set up with the Dillon case feeder.

Tim

Thanks to this thread I just ordered this resizer, report when. Nice folks to deal with, hope the service is as good. Tim, a answer to cure the off set/ cocked bullet problem is the Redding competion seating die, just another step to a perfect set up.-----Larry

Edited by lkytx

Tim, do you have the JR model with the neat looking handle, or the big sucker with the case feeder from magma? The JR looks doable for the price, but not the Big one :o ......and I have two 1050s on the bench.... ;)

Duh! I just reread the post, it is the JR model. Hmmm, that would sit near one of the casefeeders pretty easy.......

Edited by DougC

I actually short-cutted my earlier reply. The remark about being slow was compared to case rolling with the CasePro, where the case are fed automatically to the sizing area. The manual case feed on the Magma makes it seem slower. However, the case roller set-up does not size the entire case, only the base area.

From the standpoint of the Magma unit fully resizing the casing, combined with the ease of processing through the reloading press, there is likely little overall difference in using the Magma over the CasePro.

Having a case feeder, such as the Dillon, to keep the tube filled will go a long way to improving hte overall speed as well - and I did not have one attached.

Guy

The footprint on the bench is very small, I'll post some pics if anyone is interested. I'm relatively new to this forum, not sure if I even can.

FYI, short of the casefeeder you can take a 1/2" copper pipe and extend the length of the feed tube. And don't forget to plan to drill a hole into your bench, the case literally goes all the way through the die and comes out the bottom. Hang a bucket underneath to catch the falling brass.

Tim

Larry, hope you enjoy this thing as much as I do. Their service appears to be great, I was missing the screw that holds the handle on and they promply mailed one out no questions asked. I actually have the Redding Comp. die but never tried it on the 1050. I'll have to give it a try. I was worried that the smaller throat would slow down the operation.

DougC, the only thing better than a 1050 is two 1050s :lol:

Guy, sorry I missed your article. I also looked at the CasePro, looks like a great unit. I was surprised to hear that it doesn't size the entire length. I would still like to see one in operation although it's going to be hard to impress me after using the Magma.

Another two hundred flawless rounds today, I'm starting to like reloading again. :wub:

Happy New Years to all

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

The Magma case resizer got here last week and I didnt have time to set it up until today. Nice machine, well fit and finished. I have it bolted to a 2x8 and clamped to a table with a stand added for the casefeeder off my 650. It is slower than the case pro and requires a pretty long stroke. Effort is high, its a pretty good upper body work out. A thousand cases took about a hour, drinking coffee and watching TV. BUT this thing produces a perfect resized case. The brass I'm useing is once fired police range stuff and is pretty glockey. Every resized case will case guage just the way it comes out of the die. Ten cases were measured at the base, 9 were .420 and one was .419. Except for the color and the primer you cant tell them from a new case. If you dont mind the work this thing will make bludged brass a thing of the past. Next project is a inline air cyl, put some power on this sucker.-------Larry

Edited by lkytx

Larry,

Glad you like your Magma, just imagine how much wear and tear you are saving on your 650. I took your advice and put the Redding seating die in. Come to find out I was using the wrong side of the Dillon seater and my bullets were in fact a bit crooked. At the beginning of last season I switched to Ranier RNFP and I thought it had the same profile.

Live and learn.

Tim

OK, I told you how I set the sizer up and sized 1000 + or- yesterday. This morning I took all the non dillon dies off the 650 (except for the redding seater, I wont part with that) I reset the crimp die, Took the vibra prime and filled 5 tubes, topped off the powder measure and opened a box of bullets. 36 minutes later I had a empty bullet box and a large plastic bin full of loaded rds. Very smooth session, no reaching into the press to guide every 5 or 6th case into the lee resize die, no herky jerky motion of the press. The handle goes down, the handle comes up and a rd goes clink into the bin. Very smooth and easy, and almost silent, not even one cuss word, just clink, clink clink, buzz. I case guaged 200 rds. Not 1 reject. I call this one done.-----Larry

I was able to shorten the handle on my 1050 a notch because it's so easy now. That alone speeds things up. My rounds are all checking out so I'm to the point where I'm no longer going to case/barrel check unless I'm shooting a major.

Last weekend at our monthly local match I did have a FTF, the round looks fine and it's the first malfunction I've had with my Brazo......weird! Now if I can just figure out how to shoot Texas Stars (two back to back) I'll be fine.

Tim