Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Difference between SV 2011 frames and "clone" frames?

Hooked

Hi all,

Looking to order a new SV grip for a very old Infinity frame.  I already emailed Infinity and confirmed that I will need to order the "Infinity frame" grip, so that is all good.

My question though is what's the difference between the SV frame and the clone frames (e.g. STI, Cheely,  etc.).

Thanks!

STI is the original (as "TRI"), SV is a "clone", although they shared the patent for a long while before it expired :D

Anyway, there are minor differences in tolerances but the metal part is largely the same general thing.  I have a 1990s-era SV frame with a STI grip on it w/no issues.  Indeed for many years, SV grips were actual STI grips with the STI logo milled out and a SV logo stuck in to replace it.

Best to match grips to frames though.  

Plastic SV grips in original condition are pretty hard to find and you'll pay a premium for an nice one. As Shred says same grip as STI from the 90's and 2000's

I wouldn't hesitate to put an STI grip on it just stipple it or put a grip wrap on it. And as 30 year old SV guns are NOT $5000 guns like new SVs (I bought one new for under $1500 in 1995), it would not bother me the brands don't "match"

If you are going metal grip - you have a lot more options out there.

I believe the shape of the SV frame is slightly different where the upper grip part meets the dust cover part.  I've had some non-SV grips on SV frames and there's a slight gap.  Or it could have been the other way around.  It's been a while.  But, I do know it's just cosmetic, and very minor at that.  They all played well together.

Thanks for the input everyone. 

My first choice is a PT Evo grip since that is what i have on my other gun, but these seem to be very hard to come by now days. My 2nd choice is a SV grip and since they differentiate between SV and non-SV frames, I thought I'd pose the question as to what the differences are between the frames.

I'm in Canada so choices are limited.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...