Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FA X-10 Priming Issue

Has anyone else experienced issues with the small pistol priming system on the X-10? Granted I've only had the press for about a week, but I can only load maybe a few rounds before a primer gets caught/crushed in the priming assembly and I have to stop everything, remove the priming assembly, and get the caught primer out. I tried using both Ginex and Federal Gold Medal Match with this same result. 

3 hours ago, StefVanHauwe said:

Hi, did you check out the instructional videos on the Frankford Arsenal YT-Channel, incl. primer set up and trouble shooting? 

https://www.youtube.com/@frankfordarsenal632/videos

Yup. Their priming setup video only talks about setting the primer depth. And I did not hear anything on the troubleshooting video on dealing with issues with the priming system..

Edited by Baynewrady

13 hours ago, Baynewrady said:

Has anyone else experienced issues with the small pistol priming system on the X-10? Granted I've only had the press for about a week, but I can only load maybe a few rounds before a primer gets caught/crushed in the priming assembly and I have to stop everything, remove the priming assembly, and get the caught primer out. I tried using both Ginex and Federal Gold Medal Match with this same result. 

Is your shell plate indexing lining up with swage rod and primer rod where is it getting crushed?

15 minutes ago, dtuns said:

Is your shell plate indexing lining up with swage rod and primer rod where is it getting crushed?

It's within the primer assembly itself (the "4 station gear"). Primers are constantly getting caught between the gear/assembly body and crushed. And yes, the swage/primer indexing appears to be correct as when I "hand cycle" 1 primer through I do not run into any issues.

Edited by Baynewrady

45 minutes ago, StefVanHauwe said:

Hmm, did you reach out to FA Customer Service? This is also an interesting YT channel with alot of videos on the X10: https://www.youtube.com/@bragginrightsprecisionrelo346/videos 

Yes, they said it sounds like I have everything installed/setup correctly so will be sending me a new primer assembly. I'm not very hopeful though, as I took apart the piece I do have and am not seeing anything that appears to be defective.

Update: took apart the assembly (removed the "4 hole gear" from the housing) and inspected everything. There was a bit of gunk so brake-cleaned it away. Then I noticed the 2 set screws were "recessed" in their holes. I tightened them so that a couple thousands were exposed to the gear (upon reassembly), and reassembled the entire thing. Just went through 200 rounds of a mix of Ginex/Federal and no hiccups!

1 hour ago, Baynewrady said:

Update: took apart the assembly (removed the "4 hole gear" from the housing) and inspected everything. There was a bit of gunk so brake-cleaned it away. Then I noticed the 2 set screws were "recessed" in their holes. I tightened them so that a couple thousands were exposed to the gear (upon reassembly), and reassembled the entire thing. Just went through 200 rounds of a mix of Ginex/Federal and no hiccups!

Glad you figured it out!

I’ve got mine in a box waiting to assemble it in the next week or so. This was helpful. I’ve been watching bragging rights YT videos and I recall he mentioned this in one of the many videos he has. Also glad you got it figured out! 

3 hours ago, StefVanHauwe said:

Glad you figured it out!

Thanks! Me too 😅

2 hours ago, Bigzona said:

I’ve got mine in a box waiting to assemble it in the next week or so. This was helpful. I’ve been watching bragging rights YT videos and I recall he mentioned this in one of the many videos he has. Also glad you got it figured out! 

I’m kind of annoyed no mention of it is made in the instruction manual or their videos on YouTube. I’ll have to try and find what bragging rights had to say about it. Not sure if I have things set to where I’ll have no worries now or not.

1 hour ago, Baynewrady said:

Thanks! Me too 😅

I’m kind of annoyed no mention of it is made in the instruction manual or their videos on YouTube. I’ll have to try and find what bragging rights had to say about it. Not sure if I have things set to where I’ll have no worries now or not.

I've got 800 rounds through mine after about 200 these four screws were loose and had a jam not seating primers cause the linear bearings slide down and priming pin was on tilt. Tighten up and back in business. If Ihave any more loose screws might take everything a part and retighten everything. Seams to be lots of people having stuff come loose like when they assembled at factory was just put together hand tight. 

press.jpg

1 hour ago, dtuns said:

I've got 800 rounds through mine after about 200 these four screws were loose and had a jam not seating primers cause the linear bearings slide down and priming pin was on tilt. Tighten up and back in business. If Ihave any more loose screws might take everything a part and retighten everything. Seams to be lots of people having stuff come loose like when they assembled at factory was just put together hand tight. 

press.jpg

Hrm... ok thanks for sharing, I'll keep that in mind if I run into issues in the future. The screws I was talking about are the 2 on the actual primer assembly that appear to hold in the "wing" as it interfaces with the shell plate. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had a terrible time with crushed or mis aligned primers when i first set the press up.  The issue was the swage and primer rods were not aligned in the center of the shell plate.  I shimmed the guide rods and made sure they placed the rods in the center of the shell plate opening.  It would be nice if these rods were adjustable without having to tinker.  This is a short video I made of the fix.  

I wonder how this stuff would work for you all? I’ve never tried it yet but might help on all these “loose screws” machines. Loctite #222 (purple) would be another option too as it’s low strength. 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VXRM5Q/ref=sspa_mw_detail_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWwp13NParams

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had a hell of a time getting my press working correctly, there are a lot of failing or improperly installed parts being found within the first few hundred rounds. QC is non existent and it seems all replacement parts are back ordered.

I the top half of one tooth on the small primer assembly gear come off and jam in between the shell plate gear and primer gear. I also have play in the linear bearings for the swage primer rod assembly (seems to be incorrectly ground guide rods which seats the primers different depths every pull), and was told the base had been improperly machined for the shell plate advance mechanism so i had to shim the guide rods out to work properly (per their engineer) after waiting a few weeks for parts and finally receiving a package it included the wrong parts. After reaching out to FA I was told the parts are back ordered...

I demanded a new unit as the base was machined incorrectly and parts weren't available to which I was told the engineer did not tell me that and they were not going to send me a new unit. I told them I was going to go public with my story and they asked for the machine back for "inspection", I demanded a new unit and was told only after they receive and inspect the unit if they deem necessary. They also said they can not just send a new unit because of the value of the unit but i guess if its a customers unit then its not too valuable for the customer to just send off their unit with no ETA on return and no confidence that FA will do the right thing.

FA needs to get their s#!t together on these units.

• 3 months later...
On 9/5/2023 at 11:50 AM, 4fingerreloader said:

I had a terrible time with crushed or mis aligned primers when i first set the press up.  The issue was the swage and primer rods were not aligned in the center of the shell plate.  I shimmed the guide rods and made sure they placed the rods in the center of the shell plate opening.  It would be nice if these rods were adjustable without having to tinker.  This is a short video I made of the fix.  

Just being proactive, but what did you use to shim?small washer? 

13 hours ago, Zachjet said:

Just being proactive, but what did you use to shim?small washer? 

On 9/5/2023 at 11:50 AM, 4fingerreloader said:

Show my swage rod seems to be centered fine my primer rod seems to be a little off. Is this something like the problem you were having?

edit- 

It seems my problem is that my primer rod isn’t centered.  But my swage rod is.  I’m going to swap out to the large primer rod so I can eliminate the possibility of having a bent rod. 
I played around with the four screws on the chrome bar sliders and I can’t get the primer rod centered, but then my swage rod isn’t and makes contact with the plate 

IMG_4384.jpeg

Edited by Zachjet

With the shell plates I have for mine there is enough vertical play in the shell groove that the rod can take an 8th of a turn, sometimes a quarter, and still not make a difference in how the primer is seated, if you're using a hold-down die up top and back it up appropriately. If the rod is bent it may center it enough to be reliable until the new part arrives.

Mine stopped doing anything weird priming when I backed off all the adjustments, put a primed case in the priming station, and followed the adjustment procedure. It seems that the rod can, and does flex when it's over-adjusted. Obviously the top of the rod and the priming mechanism needs to be degreased and gunk-free.

I am really liking mine, although I use a lot of leftover Lee parts for pistol loading, like the Pro disk powder measure with the built-in expander.