Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I plan things out before a stage, but when that beeper sounds, I'm a deer in headlights

ass1434

Great advice here. I’m in my first several months as well and experiencing the same issue but taking this advice into practice. When you all say to visualize it 9-10 times, what comes before that? I’m having issues with more FTSAs that I would like and it’s sometimes a function of not realizing there’s a target there or being in such a rush that I forget about it in just going as fast as I can. My solution is to spend the first walkthrough counting the targets and steel to make sure they add up to what’s in the stage briefing. The second walkthrough is to actually plan the number of positions to run to and which targets I’ll engage for each. And the last is to actually put it all together and save the info in my head to run through 9-10 times since by the third walkthrough times usually up and the first shooter is in route. Open to any constructive criticism or feedback but this is my current thought process to solve the issue.

Breaking a complex stage into arrays fixes this.  An array of targets is an order of engagement, not necessarily a grouping in close proximity.

On 6/23/2024 at 9:33 PM, CHA-LEE said:

Take a class which focuses on Stage Strategy & Stage Programming skills.

Do you still offer classes around this? Looked on your website but didn’t notice a course on it. If not any suggestions?

On 6/24/2024 at 9:35 AM, Dr Mitch said:

Breaking a complex stage into arrays fixes this.  An array of targets is an order of engagement, not necessarily a grouping in close proximity.

Makes sense. Thanks!

25 minutes ago, TechGuy1911 said:

Do you still offer classes around this? Looked on your website but didn’t notice a course on it. If not any suggestions?

I do. Shoot me a message on my Big Panda Performance website so we can figure out what is possible. I also cover this stuff in my book Path of Focused Effort which can also be purchased on my website.

My immediate thought is that you’re not running through stage plan in your head enough times prior to the make ready for it to be programmed and sub conscious.  

Develop a process, and when given the Make Ready execute that process.  Every Make Ready should be the exact same as that produces consistency.

Your mind should be almost completely clear right before the beep, and then you just execute what you’ve programmed.

4 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

I do. Shoot me a message on my Big Panda Performance website so we can figure out what is possible. I also cover this stuff in my book Path of Focused Effort which can also be purchased on my website.

Just shot over a message and ordered the book. Thanks!

3 hours ago, RoundEye said:

My immediate thought is that you’re not running through stage plan in your head enough times prior to the make ready for it to be programmed and sub conscious.  

Develop a process, and when given the Make Ready execute that process.  Every Make Ready should be the exact same as that produces consistency.

Your mind should be almost completely clear right before the beep, and then you just execute what you’ve programmed.

Thanks, that definitely jives with what I’m noticing as well. On the stages where I feel it’s deeply programmed and I’ve visualized myself running, aiming and firing, there’s less stress at the Make Ready and it’s more just execution. Versus the ones where Im stressing about cramming for the test in 5 seconds lol. The more I compete the more I learn this sport requires full mental focus.