Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock conquers World Shoot

Vince Pinto

In case you guys didn't notice, David Sevigny became IPSC Production Division World Champion at WSXIII using a bog standard G17.

And after shooting the breeze with David for 10 minutes at the STI stand (where he was being courted for Open Division by the Evil Dave Skinner!!), I can tell you that David is a gentleman and an outstanding young man.

I wish we had another dozen guys like him to serve as ambassadors for IPSC.

I don't know exactly what happened to his gun.  

The scoop was......as I was fixing my broken Glock at one of the safety areas, Robbie strolled up to poke-a-little-fun-at-my-broken-plastic-gun.  Whilst he was having fun at my expense :), he told me that David was having problems with his Glock also.

I suppose it could have been as simple as a Jam?

I was just curious because I'd heard of the thing with Sevigny, knew TDean had some trouble with his Glock, and I had a problem with the 35 at my last local match.   Was wondering if some sort of conspiracy was beginning.

According to the I.P.S.C. rulebook (14th edition), external modifications and Internal replacements using non-factory components are specifically not allowed but how can the match officials justify that the Heinie sights David had on his G17 was installed by the factory? I am thinking of adding Heinie sights to my G17 too and extended slide lock lever and extended magazine button but I am hessitant because I might get DQed.

Ian G, Two reasons:

1) There is an exception for aftermarket sights (and magazines) on the IROA FAQ (see Production Division Q7).

2) Someone (I forget who) produced a letter from Glock USA confirming that they offer Heinie sights as a factory option.

BTW, you only get DQ'd for safety infractions.

If your equipment doesn't comply with Division requirements, the worst thing that can happen is that you will be reclassified to Open Division (see Rule 6.2.6).

(Edited by Vince Pinto at 5:23 pm on Sep. 29, 2002)

Quote: from Vince Pinto on 3:16 am on Sep. 29, 2002

Ian G, Two reasons:

2) Someone (I forget who) produced a letter from Glock USA confirming that they offer Heinie sights as a factory option.

Hi Vince,

Does this mean Heinie sights can be sourced as parts from one’s friendly Glock parts supplier??  Or is this a US only thing?  Had a quick look at your web site and didn't see them listed under Optional sights.

Cheers,

Phred

From what I've been told,under IPSC rules you can change the sights to ANY manufacturers sights as lond as they are notch and post style and you can NOT make any modifications to the slide when you do so. The replacement sights must fit in the factory dovetail and you can not modify the slide in any way to make a particular sight fit. Adding a factory Glock extended slide release or magazine release button is a greay area, Vince says you can but it's not clearly spelled out in the IROA faq's. Vince is most likely right though but I wish the rules were a bit clearer than they are.

Phred: The letter was from Glock in Smyrna, so I guess it's an option available only in the USA (it does not appear on my distributor pricelist).

Ian G: You will not be DQ'd if your gun does not comply with divisional equipment rules but, in any case, Glock extended magazine releases and extended slide stop levers are acceptable for IPSC Production Division.

Chuck D: The "square notch & post" rule only appears in the USPSA rulebook.

In response to "Can I replace the sights on my pistol?",  Q7 of the IROA FAQ for IPSC Production Division states: "Yes. Provided there is no alteration to the slide and as long as the manufacturer offers that model with the type of front or rear sight you are installing".

The expression "type of front or rear sights" means you cannot use, say, after-market "ghost ring" sights if "ghost ring" sights are not offered by the original gun manufacturer. However if the gun maker offers 3-dot sights, you can use any 3-dot sights provided you don't need to modify the slide to accept them.

As far as other parts are concerned, the IPSC rulebook under Appendix G, Point E, it states "Internal replacements using non-factory components (are) specifically not allowed".

Q15 of the IROA FAQ for Production Division further clarifies this by saying "Any component or replacement part which (is) sold or supplied by the original firearm manufacturer would be considered a factory component".

Since the Heinie sights were supplied by Glock on the gun, they are definitely legal for IPSC Production Division.

There was an article about kydex holsters in "Front Sight" a while back.  The holster reviewed was the type/model (according to the article) that David uses.  I've already trashed the mag, maybe this will jog someone's memory.  Mine's not too good.

How about the rumor LDA shooters using .40 S&W mags in their 9mm gun so they could have 21 rounds in it.

Or how about the Sig P226 shooters using a 17 round mag (standard isue 15 rounds).

Is it allowed to cut some material of your metal sights if this will help you to shoot better.

How about the H&K which only could use soft primers, what kind of modifications in order to have a soft trigger were used?  

late to the party but.....

Vince:

Glock does not have to offer factory-installed Heinie (or other) sights to be IPSC Production Div. legal (as you stated a few posts ago under 2)! As long as it's the same sight type (open sight, fixed or adjustable, e.g.) you can replace yours. For example (I went through this with Doug Lewis), you canNOT retrofit a Para model *LDA 18-9* with adjustable rear sight although the Para model *Limited LDA 18-9* has adjustable sights (no mix-and-match between models). But you CAN replace the Para LDA factory fixed rear sight with another fixed rear sight of your choice (e.g. the Heinie) AS LONG AS you don't modify the slide AT ALL (Doug suggested fitting my Heinie by modifying the sight, not the slide, an excellent suggestion that worked out very well).

yournotmytype:

i) wow .40 mags in the 9? I have to try that out.... I would think this is not illegal by the current rules (they list mag *length* but not *capacity* restrictions, and magazines that the manufacturer does not supply with the gun are permitted if they are no longer than those that he does ship with the gun). But does the gun still run reliably???

ii) yes, modifying your sights is permitted

--Detlef

(Edited by Detlef at 2:09 pm on Oct. 11, 2002)

Detlef,

Actually I do understand the Production Division rules. If you read all my posts in this thread, you will see I refer readers to the IROA FAQ.

After-market 3-Dot sights have always been legal for IPSC Production Division provided they don't require the slide to be modified. The fact that Heinie sights are now supplied by the (US) factory qualifies them as OEM.

Also note that Doug Lewis and I always discuss Production Division queries. We work as one person, not as opposing forces.

You post gives the wrong impression that Doug and I don't agree on the rules.

(Edited by Vince Pinto at 7:34 am on Oct. 12, 2002)