Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need help/advice with my mags

HighSpeedFocusedFailure

Long time Prod shooter and I just can’t torture myself anymore at local matches. I’m officially a LM guy now. This is my dilemma. I have 6 well used and 100% reliable mags. 

3 are MecGar 17 rounders, three holes marked 5,10,17. Blue follower, flat bases, stock from MecGar. These were my go-to mags, bombproof. 

The other 3 are factory SP01 mags, three holes marked 5,10,18. The tubes are longer on these than on the MecGar mags, black follower, basepad comes up over the bottom of the magazine tube. 

I can only fit 17 and 18 respectively in each mag and I’d like to up the capacity of at least one of my mags (ideally two) to maximum, whatever that may be, without effecting my perfect reliability, gun/mags are at about 18-20k round count and I’ve never had so much as a hiccup.

Being a prod guy for years means I got to ignore all the info about basepads/springs/followers… Which mags should I use to go for max cap and what parts should I use? I’m looking to avoid filing or scrubbing length off of new parts.

I have a L2 match coming soon so they will be checked, first one for me also, and I really don’t want to bomb it over mag length drama. 

Basically, expert advice is needed to help a frustrated Prod guy jump divisions successfully. 

Edited by HighSpeedFocusedFailure
Because no one like fudgecicle sticks.

Look at Henning Group and MBX Extreme followers.  I think they have them for your CZ.  I just ordered a couple yesterday for my P10F Comp Ready pistol.  They claim to be able to fit 24+1 in the mag with that combo and still be legal with the 140mm mag size.

21 minutes ago, robertwyatt said:

By three Henning  basepads for your mecgar mags. Then buy three rune tactical spring and follower sets.

install. Shoot. They all work pretty much flawless for most of us on here

that will get you to 24+1

I’d like to double check and make sure I’m looking at the right stuff. 

Henning part H500-MC17

and 

Rune Tactical Shadow2 RT11 and follower combo 

Cheaper than what I was expecting if these are the right parts. 

3 minutes ago, HighSpeedFocusedFailure said:

I’d like to double check and make sure I’m looking at the right stuff. 

Henning part H500-MC17

and 

Rune Tactical Shadow2 RT11 and follower combo 

Cheaper than what I was expecting if these are the right parts. 

H141-mc17 is what I was looking at

On 7/3/2023 at 6:42 PM, stick said:

Look at Henning Group and MBX Extreme followers.  I think they have them for your CZ.  I just ordered a couple yesterday for my P10F Comp Ready pistol.  They claim to be able to fit 24+1 in the mag with that combo and still be legal with the 140mm mag size.

Sounds like you are a P10 user, maybe you can steer me to the good parts I’m looking for. There’s quite a lot of conflicting info out there about mags and capacity. 

I’ve got a P10C as a backup pistol. Do you have any info on what the hot parts are to get up over 20 rounds per mag? It’s tricky because of the mag length but I just can’t seem to find solid info about what works best in the C. 

14 hours ago, HighSpeedFocusedFailure said:

Sounds like you are a P10 user, maybe you can steer me to the good parts I’m looking for. There’s quite a lot of conflicting info out there about mags and capacity. 

I’ve got a P10C as a backup pistol. Do you have any info on what the hot parts are to get up over 20 rounds per mag? It’s tricky because of the mag length but I just can’t seem to find solid info about what works best in the C. 

P10C is my CCW Gun.  Same mags as the P10F.  The mags just stick out of the P10C because the grip is shorter.

As an update to my OP..

I ordered the Hennings mag extension for the 17 rd MecGar mags and added the Rune Tactical spring and follower kit.

I picked my most used mag to try the parts on first, figuring if I had issues I could move through my available mags from oldest to newest and hopefully find one that worked the best. 

Turns out I picked a winner. Loaded 23 and let it set for a bit. Gave the mag a hefty smack and used the uplula and round 24 went right in. It’s sitting at 24 now and I’m going to leave it and let it set in good for a week or so. 

Stripping rounds out with my thumb looks good so far and rounds come out nose up. Next match it will get out to the test in the SP01 Shadow.  

Thanks for the tips on mag parts! 

3 hours ago, HighSpeedFocusedFailure said:

As an update to my OP..

I ordered the Hennings mag extension for the 17 rd MecGar mags and added the Rune Tactical spring and follower kit.

I picked my most used mag to try the parts on first, figuring if I had issues I could move through my available mags from oldest to newest and hopefully find one that worked the best. 

Turns out I picked a winner. Loaded 23 and let it set for a bit. Gave the mag a hefty smack and used the uplula and round 24 went right in. It’s sitting at 24 now and I’m going to leave it and let it set in good for a week or so. 

Stripping rounds out with my thumb looks good so far and rounds come out nose up. Next match it will get out to the test in the SP01 Shadow.  

Thanks for the tips on mag parts! 

Awesome.  Let me know how it works.

22 hours ago, stick said:

Awesome.  Let me know how it works.

Ran the mag at a match today. 24 in the tube, Barney’d out of a different mag. 

Zero Problems. 

Even had a stage with 25 round count, last array was the plate rack. I was zipping along and all was well… 

missed the last plate and had to do a standing reload. 

Yep. Situation normal! 

1 hour ago, HighSpeedFocusedFailure said:

Ran the mag at a match today. 24 in the tube, Barney’d out of a different mag. 

Zero Problems. 

Even had a stage with 25 round count, last array was the plate rack. I was zipping along and all was well… 

missed the last plate and had to do a standing reload. 

Yep. Situation normal! 

Which CZ are you Shooting?

2 hours ago, stick said:

Which CZ are you Shooting?

SP01 Shadow 91154. Bought from CZC in 2012. Springs and polish by them. No trigger job. OG chrome recurve trigger.

I stopped for a few years but started back up competing recently. Probably about 18k through it. Shoots smooth as buttah. No idea what pull weights it has but I don’t feel the trigger, ever. 

On mags again-

I didn’t have any problems with the new mag, but I did have issues Barney’ing from all 3 of my stock SP01 18 rounders. These mags actually caused the first malfs I’ve ever seen with this pistol. Round hung up nose high, halfway in the chamber, first two rounds out of each mag. Really stumped me. It was only during Make Ready so it didn’t cost me anything but I’m off those mags entirely now. 

I was a Prod shooter so I never used them with over 10 in the pipe. I think maybe they just aren’t broke in holding more than 10 but it was enough to make me want to sell them. 

My MecGar 17 mags worked flawless filled up, I only have the one 24+1 mag so my reload is one of the stock mags.