Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendations for new barrel and gas block

escherm007

Hello all,

I currently have a BCM 14.5 that I'm looking to change out the barrel/gas block but could use some help making choices.

This AR is not solely for competition but I do use it in classes/practice and will be starting a couple local 2gun competitions at the end of the summer.

Forgive me as I don't know all the little details and I'm getting a bit lost when making choices.

My suppressor should be getting out of ATF jail here soon (Deadair Sandman), so I'll need to be changing the muzzle device anyways and figured this is as good as time as any. I have already bought the sons of liberty gun works nox brake to attach to the new barrel.

So far I'm thinking of a 16" barrel for the replacement to just save me the hassle of getting things pinned and welded but I'm open to all suggestions naturally. The competitions locally that I will be going vary in ranges anywhere from 6 yards to 450+ depending on the stage if that makes a difference.

I'm trying to decide what barrel and adjustable gas blocks to go with and am looking for some suggestions from you all.

A friend of mine recommended the 16" faxon gunner barrel and superlative arms gas block since I do want to run this gun suppressed as well but that's all I have to go on so far.

I have very little knowledge when it comes to barrels and gas blocks, especially when it comes to competition shooting (and suppressors) having only bought BCM uppers for all of my ARs. Would I also need a new gas tube? Is a clamp on or set screw superior when it comes to gas blocks? Any and all information is welcome and definitely appreciated.

If possible, I'd like to keep the combo in the $300-350 range.

Hope a couple here could lend me their wisdom and recommendations. If I didn't provide enough information above, let me know and I'll do my best to provide it.

Thanks!

-Eric

I've had two Faxon Gunners, and now I have none and won't spend another penny on Faxon products. 

2/3 gun typically doesn't have stringent enough accuracy requirements that you need anything really special. Find something with specs you like and go for it.

Just know that SS barrels will have shorter lifespans, and that an inch or two of barrel length has a minimal effect on real world effectiveness.

The SA block is a good choice for switching between suppressed/unsuppressed.

I've had great luck with a number of different barrels. I had the BCM 14.5 ELW and shot it until the chrome started to pit. I switched over to a 14.5 Rosco barrel at that time and it has outlasted the BCM.

Note: Rosco and Ballistic Advantage white label barrels for other companies. So if you buy one from another company, it's still possible that BA/Rosco made it.

Edited by emjbe

• 4 weeks later...

Really hard to beat the Ballistic Advantage Hanson profile barrels in 14.5 or 16 for all purpose use. Really accurate from 55gr to 75gr in my experience and they come with a pinned gas block which is a nice addition for someone that's had 2 dimpled blocks (that weren't pinned) work loose.

• 3 weeks later...

For the price that you’re talking. I think my money would be on a Criterion barrel. My initial suggestion would be a JP but it exceeds your budget. 

For gas blocks, there’s arguments on both sides for adjustable vs non-adjustable. Most aftermarket gas blocks are set screws and manufacturer specs recommend barrel dimpling to help them hold true. Def need loctite as well. Some companies like D Wilson MFG offer to pin them for you. A pinned block will be bulletproof as far as long term alignment.