Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beware of This Springfield Prodigy Extractor Issue

As many of you know I’ve worked out a ton of kinks in the Prodigy that can be found in the Springfield Prodigy Short Term Review by @RJH  I chimed in around page 5 with a bunch of work I’ve done on mine.  I love this gun but beware if this simple issue: 

I’m about 5k rounds in and started having problems with extraction this weekend.  It was very difficult to get the extractor out and once I did I found out why: 

Looking down the extractor cutout you can see a shaded area at the top (see arrow) that is the factory provided screw for the optic mount.   
They are too long and when fully seated put direct pressure on the extractor.  

It likely won’t be apparent at first because the extractor is set in its proper place but, over time as it flexes, it will not return to the right spot and be held back/open by the pressure of that optic mount screw.  

The extractor itself was marred in this area showing the heavy amount of contact and pressure on the extractor.  

*You will know that you have this issue if your brass is ejecting straight back and falling back into the chamber OR you start noticing brass markings on the frame of your optic.  

I easily resolved this by taking the screw out and grinding 2-3 threads of length off the screw. Add some blue locktite and you’re all set.  

Beware and good luck.  BCB20D13-BF00-4CAB-8F1B-70FDB92E1E68.thumb.jpeg.92460a4628c1a2c9db60a8491c162834.jpeg

7 hours ago, Timido said:

I had same issue.  I found it after extractor went flat and was installing EGW extractor and Wilson Firing pin stop.  

Yeah I can’t believe they didn’t catch this during RnD… a normal person would assume that was worked out and would have just installed the plate setup as it came.  

The extractor was one of the few things I didn’t swap out so I didn’t notice it until it failed.  

2 hours ago, SufferInSilence said:

Yeah I can’t believe they didn’t catch this during RnD… a normal person would assume that was worked out and would have just installed the plate setup as it came.  

The extractor was one of the few things I didn’t swap out so I didn’t notice it until it failed.  

Say thank , that they didn't  make thread  for this screw  through extractor.😉