Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Almost new SP-01 Shadow Occasional Dead Trigger

Smitty79

I have 2 91030s.   The oldest, almost 100k rounds and 5 to 10x that in dry fire trigger pulls, is getting hard to keep running.   So I went looking for another one.   I found one on Gunbroker.    It was used, as is.    Pictures looked like new and I was buying from a gun store.   I bought it.

It came in and dry fired fine at the FFL.   It looks brand new.   The next day, I was going to the range and I was having problems with the trigger.   If I racked the slide, without feeding a round, the trigger would occasionally be dead with the hammer back.    I can reproduce this sometimes with the hammer back.   With the slide off, I can see this happening.   The problem is that the trigger bar isn't coming all the way up.    If I am shooting the gun, this doesn't happen.   I suspect the more violent action on recoil loosens things up enough that it works.

I contacted the seller.   He contacted the person who sold him the gun, a regular customer.   Both of them deny any trigger work on the gun and claim very little use.   This is consistent with inspection.

In troubleshooting this, I intend to get a new trigger bar lift spring.   Is there anything else I should try?

How does the trigger feel? Is it nice and smooth or maybe a little gritty? Any used gun I get I generally totally take it apart and clean it as much as I can. You can try that and adjust the trigger bar spring while you have it apart. The previous owner might have taken it apart and bent the TBS down so it's not doing its job as well as it should. Also look to see if the spring is under the trigger bar on both sides and not out of the grooves of the trigger bar. Another thought is do you remember if you feel it reset when you have a dead trigger? 

Edited by Redhemi

The trigger bar spring is held down with a screw that is staked into place. I usually tell people to not mess with it, but it’s not always a good litmus test but I would check the staking of the screw first to rule out the trigger bar spring. Of note, that screw is also needed to change the magazine release orientation as well.

If the screw is unstaked, what you can do is back the screw off, which will increase the spring tension to raise the trigger bar. You have to play with it to find the sweetspot; tightened down too much and it won’t reset properly, but loosened too much and the trigger will feel grittier/hard. 

I would also take a look at the Trigger Return Spring; sometimes it being too light combined with the weakened screw state of the Trigger Bar Spring can make things feel super gritty and not reset as well. 

22 hours ago, Redhemi said:

How does the trigger feel? Is it nice and smooth or maybe a little gritty? Any used gun I get I generally totally take it apart and clean it as much as I can. You can try that and adjust the trigger bar spring while you have it apart. The previous owner might have taken it apart and bent the TBS down so it's not doing its job as well as it should. Also look to see if the spring is under the trigger bar on both sides and not out of the grooves of the trigger bar. Another thought is do you remember if you feel it reset when you have a dead trigger? 

Trigger feels great.   Very smooth, as I'd expect for this SKU.   Trigger is heavier than my other guns.   I suspect it has a 13# spring.    My other guns have 11# and a CGW reduced power trigger return spring.    Spring is under the trigger bar on both sides.

How is the reset on your trigger, is it real positive or can you barely tell it resets? Next time you get a dead trigger push or pull the trigger forward to see if it resets. If it does you need to adjust the set screw for the reset in a little more so the trigger can reset. 

On 6/16/2023 at 4:23 PM, ultimase said:

CGW has a trigger bar spring tutorial that might help

https://cdn1.cajungunworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/28155355/How-To-34-Adjustment.pdf

If you have a pick or some time of hook you can pull the trigger spring out of the groove and then bend it slowly to meet the tutorial.

I did this to the gun.   200 flawless rounds yesterday.   No problems with dry fire.    I'm glad I looked at this.   I would have tweaked both sides of the spring instead of just the right side.

Sounds like problem solved good deal. Ultimase thank you I didn't know each side of that spring has a different adjustment. Now I have to check all my CZs.

Edited by Redhemi

8 hours ago, Smitty79 said:

I did this to the gun.   200 flawless rounds yesterday.   No problems with dry fire.    I'm glad I looked at this.   I would have tweaked both sides of the spring instead of just the right side.

7 hours ago, Redhemi said:

Sounds like problem solved good deal. Ultimase thank you I didn't know each side of that spring has a different adjustment. Now I have to check all my CZs.

Good to hear gents.

I'll have to look at this video.  Different gun, but my brand new P10F competition ready trigger isn't always resetting.  I have it going back to CZ for warranty.

It has a different trigger bar. :( 

Edited by stick