Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help understanding USPSA flags and classification records

Currently ranked B but jacked up a classifier when a mag didn't seat and ended up with a 57%. I figured it would have been a B flag and under 55% but it wasn't. My classification record is attached. The Y flagged 66% is going to drop off and be replaced with this 57%. I have two F flag scores from when I was C class at 38% and 52% still even though I'm currently in B class. When I shoot another match on thursday and the next update happens my assumption is that the lowest F flag (38%) will drop off because it's not within my most recent 8 anymore.

What happens if the classifier I shoot on Thursday is a B flag or under 55%? Then the 57% from today will stand with a Y flag because B flags are not counted within your most recent 8? That will continue to happen until I shoot higher than a 57% correct? At which point the 57% from today will become an F flag?

Screenshot 2023-06-11 at 5.52.24 PM.png

Edited by ColoradoNick

Classifiers are only B flagged when entered for the first time—if you shoot a 54% C classifier, then later reach B, the 54% stands. You'll never have a classifier get B flagged after the fact.

When the 38 drops off, the F flag will move to your 57.

1 hour ago, Fishbreath said:

Classifiers are only B flagged when entered for the first time—if you shoot a 54% C classifier, then later reach B, the 54% stands. You'll never have a classifier get B flagged after the fact.

When the 38 drops off, the F flag will move to your 57.

Makes sense, thanks! 

44 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

You score is made up of 6 of your most recent 8 classifiers that count. Your F's automatically take your lowest two scores of the 8 and then you average the 6 that are left over. 

I understand that but I have B's higher than my F's, it's kinda confusing. Makes sense now though.

Scores only count if its within 5% of your class. You are currently B Class. So anything below 55% wont count. Thus your lower scores being flagged as a B. 

B as defined within the classification section. "This score is more than 5% below the minimum score for your current class and cannot be used. This flag is only applied at the time the match is uploaded, not with every classification run. Please note that you may have scores from your initial classification that are lower than more recent scores that are flagged B. This is because all scores regardless of percentage are used to determine your initial classification; however, after you have earned your initial classification only scores that are at higher than 5% below the minimum score for your class can be used. For example, for a C-class member, only scores that are higher than 35% will be used. This is also used if the score is less than 2%"

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting situation - the rules don't specify which flags are updated and which are not. So it comes down to how the scoring calculation is implemented and it could be implemented differently in the future without violating the rules. 

However, here is an important constraint. As the system is calculating your classification, you don't have a class - the system is trying to *determine* your class. It cannot convert F to B or vice versa simply because it *thinks* you'll be a specific class. You're not that class at the moment, your class is being calculated, you don't have a class.

To figure out the class, the system will take scores that are available and those are the ones that are NOT flagged A, B, C, D, G, I or X. These flags simply say "not valid for classification calculation" as entered at the time of the match. The rest of the flags, E, F, Y and "no flag" are then sorted by date and the last 8 are selected, everything before becomes E, two will become F and the rest will be Y.

Could the system go back and do some additional exchanges such as determining new B-s? Sure, the rule doesn't specify that B flag cannot be changed. But doing the second iteration based on updated B flag could now produce different classification, so the loop could continue. And it makes no sense anyways, because it's dealing with low scores that matter only early on as you move up the classes more rapidly. 

On 6/12/2023 at 8:01 AM, ColoradoNick said:

Nobody? Lol… I guess that means I’m not the only one confused. Another alternative I question is would one of my current F flagged scores become a B since they are 5% under my current rating and the 57% will be a new F

As stated above: If your highest classification is B… then any scores from 55% and higher count MOVING FORWARD. 

Nothing in your past ceases to count until it gets replaced by newer classifiers. 

Things that count… can use one of your two “drops” or F flags. 

So best 6 of your current 8 that count. 

NEWLY SHOT classifiers don’t count at all if you f*#k them up worse than 55%. 

Previously counted ones from when you were a C class… still count until they fall off. 

You cannot ever lose your B classification even if your average drops below 60%. 

The one difference is if you were classed one up in a different division. Like if you were A in PCC or Revo…

Then instead of 55% as your CO floor, it’d be 60%.  Basically if you’re an A class shooter, you can’t count any C class runs in different divisions. 

If you’re at best a B class shooter, you still have some C class tail allowance. 

Edited by -JCN-