Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Checkmate issue at local match

buckyjames1

Was doing a local USPSA event when I had an issue

1. Went to reload from slide lock

2. Inserted a fresh mag

3. Slide would not ride forward

I attempted to utilize the racker and it would not allow the slide to go forward

After 2-3 attempts, I removed the magazine, allowed the slide to go forward, inserted the fresh magazine and re-racked from the closed slide position

This worked and allowed me to get going again.

I am using MBX 170mm magazines and they are new

My gun is definitely due for a thorough cleaning

I inspected the magazine lips and top opening to see if any burrs were present, didn't notice anything out the ordinary

Some people post that the slide lock pin does go out and needs replacing, is this the possible indicator?

I also had an issue with my reload, the opened magazine wells of the CZs have a small lip that isn't flush with the internal of the grip

I was thinking I might have to dremel/bevel the magazine well flush with the bottom of the grip fram

Anyone done this?

Thanks for any input

Magazine might have been over-inserted, causing the slide to catch on the back of the mag. You should be able to easily replicate this. You could have also had a round in the magazine engaging the slide lock, but that should've been able to be remedied by pushing down on the slide lock.

Slide lock reloads are bad in USPSA anyway and to be avoided. Because of the potential for a round engaging the slide lock I only use the pins without the slide lock. I'd recommend testing for over-insertion with the remedy being to not do slide lock reloads with those 170's. I'd also recommend using the plain pins instead of the slide lock.

For the stock magwell I blended the step with a dremel. The Sebo and Lok aftermarket magwells have a smaller upper opening that covers up the part that needs blending.

the only time my cm ever had that type of issue was when i used the slide stop and attempted to reload, usually it was with a big stick. as said above it's over-insertion and if it's bad enough you can damage the ejector. 

after it happened twice in a major 3gun match i switched to the pin only so that all reloads are seating against a closed slide. never had that issue since. 

the cz frame is not blended to the magwell, i've done that on both tso and cm and it's very much worth doing. i used files very carefully and then sandpaper and dremel. go slow and refit the magwell frequently.

Edited by DavidSeavey