Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first 929, it's loaded with TK Custom stuff

MuayThaiJJ

13 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Anyone start a pool on how long this will last? What is the over/under?

Don't care. What I DO care about is how the OP shaved a pound off of his trigger pull by polishing. I've never significantly lightened a trigger pull by polishing, only smoothed them out, and it's extra perplexing because TKC parts are typically polished when installed.

Range update, I got some light strikes on my 929. Took off the grips I noticed I did not set the screw all the way, some torque was needed to really seat it all the way. After I did, pull went back up to 7# and all loads ignited. I plan on playing with it a bit more, as I think the previous owner had it slightly lighter at 6.5#. My reliable 5# DA goal is likely not realistic.

I noticed the 2 areas that did not have polishing were the flat of the trigger and the bottom of the power custom rebound slide, I did those areas plus the DA sear, and smoothed out any wear areas in the frame. Action was smoother.

I opened up my 10-5 PPC, and it had old gummy oil residue - possibly decades old. I can tell there was a trigger job, all those areas were polished except for the bottom of the rebound slide. I cleaned it all up, and the 10-5 is buttery as heck.

2 hours ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

Range update, I got some light strikes on my 929. Took off the grips I noticed I did not set the screw all the way, some torque was needed to really seat it all the way. After I did, pull went back up to 7# and all loads ignited. I plan on playing with it a bit more, as I think the previous owner had it slightly lighter at 6.5#. My reliable 5# DA goal is likely not realistic.

Ah - mystery solved!

2 hours ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

I noticed the 2 areas that did not have polishing were the flat of the trigger and the bottom of the power custom rebound slide, I did those areas plus the DA sear, and smoothed out any wear areas in the frame. Action was smoother.

I 100% believe that polishing those areas improved trigger feel. I was just surprised to hear it resulted in a lighter pull because, as @MWP said, it's the spring pressures that control 99.9% of the pull weight for a revolver. Glad you got it sorted.

On 4/29/2023 at 8:06 AM, Distant Thunder said:

Sooo ... boxers or briefs?

Ha I just saw all this. Must have missed it once the tractor mechanic conversation came around the mountain again.