Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Running a Major PF Glock. Class options?

ADickens

Hey everybody, lurked here for a while and finally created an account. 

I began shooting USPSA this past year for the first time ever and I’m hooked. Ran an M&P 9 Pro series 5” w/ Apex trigger, and shot it just ok. Gradually got better/faster thru the year. Wanting to start shooting Major PF, so when the Limited optics division topic came up, I got the idea to build a Glock 23X. Using a GSX100 frame and a G23 slide (possibly to get optics cut for Leupold DPP). 

I’m not sure where it’ll fit in. I’d get junked in Open but I thought I had a chance in Limited Optics but no Major PF scoring. 

I’m still very much a rookie and looking for any and all advice. Thanks!!

Edited by ADickens

Advice (worth what you paid for it):

Without Optic - shoot it in Limited and have fun

With Optic - Download the .40 (or not), shoot it in Limited Optics and have fun

As you said, you're a rookie that is looking to get better and I assume have fun.  So who (other than you) really cares how you score, what you shoot and what division you shoot it in?

Picking one platform and sticking with it for a decent amount of time is going to be far more beneficial than trying to game division/equipment.

When i started shooting USPSA, i was young, single, no mortgage, no car payments and living at home! I bought an open, limited, SS and Production gun to try all different division. If i can do over, I’d take Cjmill87 advice to stick with one platform and shoot it for a long time. 

if you want to build the gun go for it.

If you are building it specifically for competition then you probably should rethink it. for a competition specific gun look at what most everyone else is using there is usually a reason.

but like i said if you just want one and you want to shoot matches with it, do it and don't worry about weather you will get crushed in open or not. 

I have shot almost every gun I own that could fit a division in a USPSA match, from a 5 shot 44 spl.  to 220 Power Factor 10mm GLOCK 20 to a Daewoo DP51 to a 357 Sig GLOCK Open gun to a Ruger P85. Run what you want and enjoy it. 

Ok, you asked for it! The frame you are looking at sometimes needs Dremel work, are you comfortable doing that? Have you ever built a Glock? 

My  suggestion would get you shooting Limited Optics very quickly. Buy a Gen 5 Glock 17 MOS and then buy the Glock Performance Trigger and install it. Buy a Carver Custom Stainless Magwell. Buy the  Trijicon 5 MOA SRO instead of a Leupold DPP. The controls are so much better on the SRO. Bladetech mag holders and holster work very well. Then shoot the heck out of it!

Hope this helps, any questions, just ask. 

Built many glocks! Have mine fully assembled and functioning flawlessly. Agency arms trigger and it shoots like a dream. 

I like the idea. I’ll give it some thought! Thanks. 

53 minutes ago, dapribek said:

Ok, you asked for it! The frame you are looking at sometimes needs Dremel work, are you comfortable doing that? Have you ever built a Glock? 

My  suggestion would get you shooting Limited Optics very quickly. Buy a Gen 5 Glock 17 MOS and then buy the Glock Performance Trigger and install it. Buy a Carver Custom Stainless Magwell. Buy the  Trijicon 5 MOA SRO instead of a Leupold DPP. The controls are so much better on the SRO. Bladetech mag holders and holster work very well. Then shoot the heck out of it!

Hope this helps, any questions, just ask. 

You’re very welcome. To help pass the time this winter, I built two 26s and a 17. I bought frames on Gunbroker and aftermarket barrels and slides from eBay. With all the parts I’ve accumulated through the years, I was able to keep the costs under $349 per gun. The only problem I encountered was a barrel whose hood was too long. I returned it and bought another so it worked out for me I may do one more if I can get a frame cheap enough.