Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safe Area, Safe Table setup

Speedwagon

I thought I remember once before finding safe table perimeter marking designations somewhere, or at least I think I did. I've Googled and searched again in IDPA and USPSA rules for designations but can't find anything. 

Are there "official" perimeter designations or basically just common sense markings?

Dunno about IDPA but USPSA has rule 2.4 which covers safety areas. Nothing specific like you are looking for. We just use the same sticks as we use for shooting area boundaries. Everyone knows what those mean 😉

It’s mostly common sense..

but a few things that have been not so common..

1. put the table and fault lines so someone can’t stand outside of the fault lines and use the table as a loading bench for mags.. some have done that and they are “outside” of the safety area.. so it’s ok.. and that’s a drama and rules grey area that people don’t need..

2. situate the safe area so that it won’t interfere with a stage and define it well. USPSA rules will help with this.

3. build it so it is 3 sides and people can’t walk up and have muzzles pointed at them..

4. Some ranges build it with railroad ties and make it a U shaped box.. so muzzles can’t be seen outside of the safe area.. others use dirt berms.. all good ideas..

At our club range, we have: table and fault lines so that you are facing a side berm, near the back of the berth, when you go to the Safety table. Some colored markers to show where your gun is supposed to be pointed. For Matches, we additionally put up targets with a letter S spray painted on them. There might or might not be a Safety table at every stage.

Thanks all, this pretty much what I had in mind, a table with fault lines but thought I saw something somewhere that gave a specific layout. With the IDPA rules now it just seems like everything has to be 'by the book' so just wanted to be sure.