Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Limited Major and want to switch my 5" top end to 5.4". Is this possible, and if so, how?

DJL01

I'm currently shooting a custom-built 2011 in .40 for USPSA Limited Major, but before this gun, I had always shot a 5.4" setup (like a Staccato XL) or 5.31" (Glock 34).  The question is if I could change this setup to turn it into a 5.4" and how I would go about doing that.  I see the 5.4" bull barrels for sale, but slide-wise, I only see 5" and 6" as purchase options.  Any/all guidance is appreciated, as I'm still fairly new to competition shooting!  

The 5.4" bull barrels are threaded for comps, mostly.  You can use them in your current slide.  The only difference is they will stick out .4".

If you don't like that option, you can buy a 6" gov slide and cut it back to 5.4".  Clark custom sells 6" barrels that will work in a 5" gov slide.  Tell them what length you want and they'll lop it off for you.  They may only offer that in bushing barrels.  If so, fit a bushing.

41 minutes ago, zzt said:

The 5.4" bull barrels are threaded for comps, mostly.  You can use them in your current slide.  The only difference is they will stick out .4".

If you don't like that option, you can buy a 6" gov slide and cut it back to 5.4".  Clark custom sells 6" barrels that will work in a 5" gov slide.  Tell them what length you want and they'll lop it off for you.  They may only offer that in bushing barrels.  If so, fit a bushing.

Ah got it and makes sense.  Thank you!  I’ll look into the 6” route and having them custom cut it for me.  Appreciate your response!  

Six in bull barrels are available from Bar-Sto, KKM, SV, and others.  Those can easily be cut and recrowned at 5.4" or whatever length you want.  Six inch slides are available from Caspian, SV, Warwick and probably others.  Those can also be cut down as needed.  It's a pretty simple project for a gunsmith, or DIY, if you have the tools and skills to do the work. 

6 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Six in bull barrels are available from Bar-Sto, KKM, SV, and others.  Those can easily be cut and recrowned at 5.4" or whatever length you want.  Six inch slides are available from Caspian, SV, Warwick and probably others.  Those can also be cut down as needed.  It's a pretty simple project for a gunsmith, or DIY, if you have the tools and skills to do the work. 

Awesome, thank you and @all for the guidance!