Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rival S Slide Locked back with 12+ rounds left.

Boss1622

I ran my new Rival S at a local USPSA match Saturday. On the first stage, 6th shot fired the Slide Locked back. I was running the factory magazine with 20 round base pads. There was no blockage/jam in the chamber area and the magazine was seated. I tried to rack the slide to release the slide lock and it would not move. I then tried to release the slide stop, it would not move.

I don't think the Magazine was over inserted because it was inserted with the slide closed ( I don't slam them in) and didn't have a problem until the 6th shot was fired.

I dropped the magazine (the slide remained locked open) I the racked the slide back and the side stop released, slide closed. I inserted a fresh magazine, racked the slide and finished the stage. I shot 5 more stages without any malfunctions. I was running Blazer Brass 124. 

Has anyone had a problem like this? 

How can I disable the automatic Slide Lock function?

My SVI / Infinity 2011 was built with the Slide stop Magazine nub removed. I'm thinking about doing the same to my Canik. I have shot enough Limited matches that I don't shoot the gun dry. 

Film your shooting the pistol from the left side and see where you place your thumb.  Could have accidentally bumped the lock.  Also, running a Grams type follower will help too.

Around the net, there seems to be more and more chatter about Blazer ammo issues.

Thank you for the input. I like the idea of the Grams type followers (which ones are people using?).  I don't think the malfunction could have been caused by my thumb bumping the lock into place because I could not release the slide from slide lock until I removed the magazine. I had only ran about a hundred rounds on this gun before the match and it ran about 200 more rounds without a problem after this issue (but I didn't run that magazine again in the match. 

I have ordered a MBX Spring and follower set and Henning extension, depending on how it runs I may buy a couple more or try the new MBX Magazine.  

On 4/3/2023 at 9:10 AM, Boss1622 said:

I ran my new Rival S at a local USPSA match Saturday. On the first stage, 6th shot fired the Slide Locked back. I was running the factory magazine with 20 round base pads. There was no blockage/jam in the chamber area and the magazine was seated. I tried to rack the slide to release the slide lock and it would not move. I then tried to release the slide stop, it would not move.

I don't think the Magazine was over inserted because it was inserted with the slide closed ( I don't slam them in) and didn't have a problem until the 6th shot was fired.

I dropped the magazine (the slide remained locked open) I the racked the slide back and the side stop released, slide closed. I inserted a fresh magazine, racked the slide and finished the stage. I shot 5 more stages without any malfunctions. I was running Blazer Brass 124. 

Has anyone had a problem like this? 

How can I disable the automatic Slide Lock function?

My SVI / Infinity 2011 was built with the Slide stop Magazine nub removed. I'm thinking about doing the same to my Canik. I have shot enough Limited matches that I don't shoot the gun dry. 

Shot mine for the first time today with Taran Tactical extensions and had issues chambering rounds, even on the first round in the magazine.  I’d insert a mag, hit the slide release, the slide would move forward slightly, and then stop. When I slap the back of the slide, it will chamber and close.  

I had several situations like above too.  This gun is a paperweight right now. 

I’m going to try mags without the extensions.  Using those with snap caps didn’t reproduce the same issue.  

Edited by telligentgunner

I ran my new rival s through about 600 rounds the other day. I would have intermittent lock back with rounds still in the magazine. I know I was not locking it back on my own because the slide stop itself was “dead” if that makes sense. I’d have to manipulate the slide to get it to chamber the next round. It was different magazines (6 in total) all with the factory spring, follower, and Taylor freelance basepads.

I could run the same magazine again and go through the whole magazine without stoppages, so either the slide stop itself is out of spec or the magazines need work. 

2 minutes ago, Ajsomp said:

I ran my new rival s through about 600 rounds the other day. I would have intermittent lock back with rounds still in the magazine. I know I was not locking it back on my own because the slide stop itself was “dead” if that makes sense. I’d have to manipulate the slide to get it to chamber the next round. It was different magazines (6 in total) all with the factory spring, follower, and Taylor freelance basepads.

I could run the same magazine again and go through the whole magazine without stoppages, so either the slide stop itself is out of spec or the magazines need work. 

Check the issue I had above. Could be a design flaw with the slide being hung up on rounds.

7 minutes ago, telligentgunner said:

Check the issue I had above. Could be a design flaw with the slide being hung up on rounds.

Potentially, but I haven’t had any rounds that wouldn’t chamber or that were hung up on the round itself. 

notionally I just tried a few of the empty magazines and locked the slide to the rear. When I went to use the slide stop/release it wouldn’t let the slide close, and only moved slightly. So it leads me to believe it’s the slide, slide stop, or magazine (affecting the slide stop). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2023 at 2:45 PM, Ajsomp said:

Potentially, but I haven’t had any rounds that wouldn’t chamber or that were hung up on the round itself. 

notionally I just tried a few of the empty magazines and locked the slide to the rear. When I went to use the slide stop/release it wouldn’t let the slide close, and only moved slightly. So it leads me to believe it’s the slide, slide stop, or magazine (affecting the slide stop). 

I contacted Century Arms (aka Canik U.S.A.), described the issue, and they said there are parts that need to be replaced.  Rather than them sending me the parts and replacing them myself, I opted to send the gun to them, have them do it, and test it to make sure everything runs as expected. 

I would suggest  use the warranty and get them to fix the issue.

On 4/25/2023 at 3:36 PM, WxGuy said:

Please let us know what they replace!  I'm not having any issues at this point, 3000+ rounds.  Mags are from the S (stock) and TP9 SFX (140mm TF extensions).

yes what he said!

would be helpful

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2023 at 9:39 PM, telligentgunner said:

I contacted Century Arms (aka Canik U.S.A.), described the issue, and they said there are parts that need to be replaced.  Rather than them sending me the parts and replacing them myself, I opted to send the gun to them, have them do it, and test it to make sure everything runs as expected. 

I would suggest  use the warranty and get them to fix the issue.

I emailed support@centuryarms.com on the 11th. So far nothing but the auto response. Hoping to hear something from them this week. Is that the same email address you used, or did you call?

They have a lower power recoil spring that's usually all that needs to be changed (blue paint on spring tip). On my rival polimar I heated the end off and removed a few coils till it was 100%

• 2 weeks later...

Canik got in touch with me. It took two weeks. They are sending out a low power recoil assembly and grips and screws (the only grip that fit on my gun was the one it came installed with). The other two do not line up. Unfortunately the parts are back ordered and they said expect a few weeks. I really think it has super high potential, so I'm being patient. I got my polymer rival to run 100%, so if this isn't the fix I'll start experimenting more on my own.

On 5/15/2023 at 2:57 PM, Slow250 said:

I emailed support@centuryarms.com on the 11th. So far nothing but the auto response. Hoping to hear something from them this week. Is that the same email address you used, or did you call?

The only good way to reach someone is by calling. Pick up the phone.