Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 Dillon size/trim die issues

My 223 processing stations are as follows.

Station 1 - universal decap

Station 3 - RT1500 size/trim die

Station 5 - neck size

I have already bottomed out the size/trim die but when I drop the case into the case gauge, it still sticks out just a bit. I can push it in and itll sit flush but then I have to tap it out from the other side. The trimmer cuts it to the right length (1.75) but they will not freely drop flush. Case gauge is a hornady.

image.jpeg.dcaa2787c049b04c964adf31be6aa9e4.jpeg

I wonder if you have made sure your shoulder bump is measured properly.  I imagine your shoulder bump is too high which is why the case is sticking out.  You will need to make sure your shoulder bump is correct.

I actually using a different sizing die for shoulder bump and to make sure the neck is sized properly.  

Check out Erik Cortina, or other threads on here.  It has been discussed in detail.

The video below is a different round but the same process. 

1 hour ago, engineerjet said:

My 223 processing stations are as follows.

Station 1 - universal decap

Station 3 - RT1500 size/trim die

Station 5 - neck size

Search Enos. Many people size first then trim. 

Try this, after trimming does the case gauge? If so your neck size die is pressing the shoulder and distorting it. How do I know? Got the t shirt. 

If it doesn’t gauge after trimming, size first then trim. (This is how I do it now)

Also the trim die will normally undersize the neck of a 223 and require an expander plug to resize it   

Try this order:

1. Decap 

2. FL size to gauge.

3. Trim

4. Size neck with plug expander. 

5. Clean and reload.

Edited by HesedTech

I do not have the RT1500, so I FL size without an expander in the die (RL1100), and then trim (and wash) as an intermediate step.  Then I load the sized cases in a 650, using a decap die with an expander.  By waiting to expand the neck it is made round right before it gets charged and seated.  This also makes it easy if I ever do get a stuck case for some reason.

This is not really addressing your issue, bust since you are sizing the neck separately anyway it might be nice if you waited until the loading phase. 

3 hours ago, mmc45414 said:

using a decap die with an expander.

I use a NOE expander plug in a Lee universal case expander die. Works great and you can customize the neck size needed by selecting the desired size. Just a thought.

https://leeprecision.com/universal-case-expanding-die

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/product-category/bullet-casting-reloading/expanders/expander-plug-rifle/

Are you collapsing the shoulder when you neck size?

I would chamber check after you trim, if the case passes the gauge, then neck size the same case and repeat

that way you’ll know at which step you’re having problems

on my dedicated trim tool head setup

station 1, small base resizing die 

station 3, Dillon RT1500 with the Dillon trim die

i hate universal decapping dies, if I’m running brass thru my press to deprime, I’m going to resize it at the same time.

20 hours ago, rishii said:

Are you collapsing the shoulder when you neck size?

I would chamber check after you trim, if the case passes the gauge, then neck size the same case and repeat

that way you’ll know at which step you’re having problems

on my dedicated trim tool head setup

station 1, small base resizing die 

station 3, Dillon RT1500 with the Dillon trim die

i hate universal decapping dies, if I’m running brass thru my press to deprime, I’m going to resize it at the same time.

my last batch of 223 prep I was on a 650 I through the universal in stage 1 and full length sized stage 2, trimmed stage 4.  The batch prior to that I did not have the universal on. It worked fine but I figured if I can take a little off that and even the plate a little I should try. I found I had less primer grabs because Mighty armory was using a smaller pin not that that should of decided anything because I also added MA size die.

I never quite understood why the trim die needed to do any sizing, I would think hold everything snug and take your brass and move on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 12:31 PM, HesedTech said:

I use a NOE expander plug in a Lee universal case expander die. Works great and you can customize the neck size needed by selecting the desired size.

Those look like a cool alternative.

I have been using the Squirrel Daddy pins in a Lee decap die.

Has been working great (did Qty500 last night), just one funky thing is the decapper dies are longer than the sizing dies, and the SD pins are a little short, so I have cut my decap die to be shorter.  Thought it would be tough, but it was quite easy to cut with my battery sawzall. I just cut it flush with the toolhead, and do not need/use a locknut. 

• 8 months later...
On 4/4/2023 at 8:27 AM, m700 said:

my last batch of 223 prep I was on a 650 I through the universal in stage 1 and full length sized stage 2, trimmed stage 4.  The batch prior to that I did not have the universal on. It worked fine but I figured if I can take a little off that and even the plate a little I should try. I found I had less primer grabs because Mighty armory was using a smaller pin not that that should of decided anything because I also added MA size die.

I never quite understood why the trim die needed to do any sizing, I would think hold everything snug and take your brass and move on.

I just got an rt1500 I wished I would have waited to trim my lapua 308win brass until I figured it out a little more with 223. But I de primed in station 1, and 4 I fl sized with the trim die and trimmed. I would much rather size then trim as well. It seems like their is to much going on in that one stage. 

5 hours ago, ubet said:

I just got an rt1500 I wished I would have waited to trim my lapua 308win brass until I figured it out a little more with 223. But I de primed in station 1, and 4 I fl sized with the trim die and trimmed. I would much rather size then trim as well. It seems like their is to much going on in that one stage. 

I pulled my deprime die yesterday and moved full length size to 1(dillon calls it 2). kept swage backer at 2, trim at 6