Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex match barrel

Practicalomaha

I am in the process of doing my third one.  Amount of fitting will vary pistol to pistol.  My first one was what I expected, second one needed very little, third one is taking a bit.

Have not done any conclusive accuracy testing, this one is the first one with an optic, my eyes would be the limiter on doing anything conclusive with sights.

My 5" 2.0 guns were probably shooting up to my ability with the factory barrel, but I figure why leave some capability laying on the table when there is a known upgrade out there. 

• 4 months later...

As long as you have to fit the lower locking lug (feed ramp base) and the hood section you will see a very good accuracy. (Even better if you have to fit the muzzle. But less critical, IME)  If it will drop in not as much.  Mine were all gunsmith fit versions I fit to a tight lockup and they will both shoot 10x1"@ 25 using my bullseye load (115 hap VV330 5.0gr CCI  1.14" starline) from a fully supported rest.  You can of course find a lighter load that's just as accurate with the 10 tw.  That's actually my 50 yd load Awhich is a bit snappy. The better of the two guns  can do 1.25 on a good day @50. 5" PRO, APEX parts, everything polished, slide to rail fitted. DPP mounted. I feel more precise with the triangle dot on the DPP for bullseye groups.  I did these yrs ago when you could still get the gunsmith fit barrels.  IMO it was a mistake for Apex to stop selling to them to the public.

For me there is no way I am paying for a match barrel on any handgun if it does not have to be fitted at least at the lug and hood.  

Have to edit my last posted statement.  I see Apex once again is stocking and selling the gunsmith barrels.  Those are the only ones I personally would use.  Just pick up their jig and file if you do not have the equip or a mill or surface grinder.  Done plenty with files/stones.

• 1 month later...

You will see a difference after 10 yards. At 10 yards the difference may not be worth it to you but after that it certainly will be noticeable. At 15 yards, the stock barrel opens up the group to a couple of inches, with the Apex, I can shoot shots touching ( this is all done standing freehand not at a rest). I also noticed on my new Competitor that it was more fussy with OAL and profile than the Apex. Not hard to fit with the proper tools and the install video.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done 3 of these semi fit Apex M&P barrels.  I'm happy with the first 2.  The accuracy is very good on them.  On the 3rd one I think I was starting to figure out the fitting process a little better.  It is more accurate than any of my 3 custom 6 inch 2011 guns.

• 6 months later...

No experience with the semi-fit barrels but I did use the gunsmith fit barrel on a GEN1 M&P full size 9mm. The factory barrel shot patterns, not groups. When APEX introduced the GSF barrel I liked what Randy Lee had to say about the geometry of the S&W barrel causing premature unlocking. He just didn't take the normal approach by making the barrel oversize in critical areas, he changed the geometry of the lower lug and made the barrel oversize in critical areas.

The APEX barrel just oozed with quality. Impeccable machining. Bore was mirror bright. On my pistol the muzzle end dropped in with no fitting but fit really well. The rear had plenty of meat and needed it, big difference in top of hood to bottom of the lug height. The factory barrel was considerably shorter in overall height compared to the APEX.  

The APEX GSF barrel made a HUGE difference. Took about two hours to fit. I keep the old barrel in the factory case with the pistol. Easy to swap the barrels so the naysayers can eat their words. The look on their face is PRICELESS!!

Randy Lee cracked the code on the GEN 1 FS M&P accuracy issues.

I'm glad APEX brought back the gunsmith fit barrels. These are the ticket if you have an earlier GEN 1 full size S&W M&P.

Edited by Rodinal220