Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seat/crimp dies

xjwalt666

What is everyones take on repeatability with seat/crimp dies? I just picked up a super 1050 and want to be able to run a bullet feeder and powder check and will need to go to a seat/crimp die. I've seen people that love them and that hate them. Is there one that is better than others? Or should i just keep an eye on the powder level in the cases while loading and keep the dies separate?

I've had no issues with running a seat/crimp die for my 9mm reloading.  I spot check cartridges and on average they're +/- 0.004 max, which is good enough for me for 9mm.

I try to visually check each case before the bullet feeder station, but I use a DAA powder check as my primary powder check.

On 3/25/2023 at 11:13 AM, xjwalt666 said:

I just picked up a super 1050 and want to be able to run a bullet feeder and powder check and will need to go to a seat/crimp die.

Personally have never ran a powder check die and have lost count of how many rounds, maybe approaching to 100K now, without it. But if it makes you feel more comfortable the combined die works fine, except a bit tricky with coated bullets. Why? Because it starts to close the bell down before the bullet is fully seated and can scrape the coating off.

I have used the combined die on a 550 so I could use a bullet feeder in a station. Found it works best with plated or FMJ bullets.

Thanks all, I have never run a powder check before either so I'm not really sure why it concerns me now. I'm only going to be loading major pf ammo on this press so obviously the cases will be pretty full that I should be able to tell by eye if its close at least. I just see a lot of people use the powder check and was curious how the seat/crimp dies do for consistency.    

• 2 weeks later...

I seat and crimp on one position as well.  it took a little while to get it just right, but now it's working pretty well. I case gauge each round, and the couple I come across that dont pass, I run through a factory crimp die and they're good to go.