Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked slide, how can I fix it.

Reloader98

So all though I haven’t thought the frame rails were bad at all as the whole slide and fit is tight, what dimensions should I be looking for that is too small ? Does anyone have a minimum dimension for 2011 frame rails so I can measure my rails and see if they are over worn? We can end this potential problem with some quick measurements from a caliper  if anyone could give me said dimensions. 

I don't have my notes with me but the dimensions vary slide to slide. I just did 3 different brand slides onto 3 used frames and while I was lucky all 3 were able to fit the frames they were assigned to they would not have all have fit all the frames. 

in the end your likely OK regardless, I ended up with .0025" clearance on one of my early builds and while you can feel its not the tightest fit gun out there it runs well and shoots accuratly.

• 10 months later...
On 3/12/2023 at 9:53 PM, Reloader98 said:

So my slide cracked on my shorty open gun. Mine is old and I’m the second or third owner. It’s an older J.L Hardy “Shorty” 4.25 gun with two popple holes in the barrel. The crack is on the edge of the ejection port towards the chamber. Small but undeniable. I only put a few thousand rounds through it but I’m unsure of how many were put through it before me, I’m sure it was a lot. 

my question or questions are, can it be repaired and is it worth repairing as compared to a new slide ? 

secondly, if getting a new slide for it is the better option, would the frame start to over wear at some point ? And If I decided  to sell the gun after all that, given the slide is made by a different builder, would it be worth less in the resale market with the frame and slide being made by different people? 

Eventually I want to buy a brand new open gun built for me so I kinda want to sell this gun eventually so I can help fund a new one. What would you do? 

thanks! 

you need to replace it. You may also be able to get away with making it a SCSA gun and only shoot minor out of it. I would only recommend that if the gun has been looked over by a competent gun smith. Otherwise its trash 

1 hour ago, kaseyj5056 said:

you need to replace it. You may also be able to get away with making it a SCSA gun and only shoot minor out of it. I would only recommend that if the gun has been looked over by a competent gun smith. Otherwise its trash 

I don't believe this at all! Back in the day cutting and welding slides was a common practice with the old school pistolsmiths like George Nonte. These guns were almost always 45 ACP and shot thousands of rounds after being welded.

46 minutes ago, 392heminut said:

I don't believe this at all! Back in the day cutting and welding slides was a common practice with the old school pistolsmiths like George Nonte. These guns were almost always 45 ACP and shot thousands of rounds after being welded.

Old 45's didn't ever crack the slide there in the first place.  So there's clearly a lot less pressure involved.

When Modified was a thing (major .40) some of the European shooters had welded up slides.  Spare slides were hard to get and serialized items.  They were acutely aware they'd crack again.