Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

357 Sig loads

aplthird

I have been looking but  can find any info so I will try my luck here.  I want to shoot full power loads

out of my Sig P320.   I know Underwood makes hot 357 sig ammo.  Is there a way to come close to those power

levels, but safely.  I plan to load normal loads but I am looking for hotter loads.  Thanks.

What manuals have you checked so far? The real performers in 357 SIG tend to be AA #7 & #9. Stay away from plated bullets since most of them are only good to around 1100 fps or so. I use RMR, and tend to load heavier bullets. Many 9mm bullets can't handle the extra velocities and are not recommended for use by their manufacturers. Most notable in this class is Hornady 124 gr XTP. Most ammo and bullet manufacturers download .357 to keep their bullets in the velocity ranges they were designed to perform best at, and this is the main reason you can't find much for hot loads listed.

Underwood 357 ammo seems at its hottest when loaded with lighter weight solid bullets if that's any indication of the situation for you.

Just now, Alaskapopo said:

Yep but you can get a drop in 9mm barrel or a 9mm p320

Also you actually can shoot 9mm in a 357 sig barrel. The brass will bulge badly but the gun will cycle. Had a friend of mine make that mistake with no harm to him or the gun. 

Longshot does about 1400 with 9 grains. Seems to make a bit more speed than #9, with significantly less powder. 

All 357 SIG guns can shoot 1400 fps 124gr ammo. Not many 9's will shoot major out of the box, or even have magazines appropriate to load it in. 

Edited by OnePivot

37 minutes ago, PhotoRecon said:

Local law enforcement uses 357 Sig and experienced bullet set back with some loads. They use AA #9 in reloads to help with that issue.

This is Western Powders load data for the 357 Sig.

Screenshot_20230321_063109_Drive.jpg

YES this is the data I am using

On 3/15/2023 at 6:00 PM, anachronism said:

You do understand that 357/.40 slides are different from the 9mm, don't you?

You do understand 9mm conversion barrels are made for 40 and 357 Sig slides they are over sized. I have a 9mm Barsto conversion barrel for my Sig 229 in 40 sw. Do some research 

On 3/5/2023 at 7:45 PM, Alaskapopo said:

Also you actually can shoot 9mm in a 357 sig barrel. The brass will bulge badly but the gun will cycle. Had a friend of mine make that mistake with no harm to him or the gun. 

You're corect in a manner of speaking.   9mm is the caliber for the 357sig, but 9luger is a different story.   This was my mishap as I loaded a 357sig round into a 40s&w.   I bounced down the barrel at hit the target at 50 yards.   Now I have 1 fireformed 40s&w case.

1 hour ago, K-Tex said:

I load for 357sig and love that cartridge!   From 90-147grs and various powders for each.   Give me a bullet weight choice and I'll see what info I have.

I am using 124 grain  9mm- 124 FP extreme copper plated bullets.  I am looking to shot good power levels out of it.  My powder is Accurate #9 They say to start at 12 and go to 13 grains.  Although I do have other powders.  I am looking to shoot at major power level.

12 hours ago, aplthird said:

I am using 124 grain  9mm- 124 FP extreme copper plated bullets.  I am looking to shot good power levels out of it.  My powder is Accurate #9 They say to start at 12 and go to 13 grains.  Although I do have other powders.  I am looking to shoot at major power level.

I don't do any comp shooting, so I'm not sure how that's figured?

I use Sierra and Hornady mostly form 90-147gr.   As far as powders for each I'd need to check.   Pretty much everything I load is near max.   Those 90gr sure do fly from a 357sig.   I'll get back to you on powders per bullet combos I've done.

On 3/21/2023 at 7:35 AM, PhotoRecon said:

Local law enforcement uses 357 Sig and experienced bullet set back with some loads. They use AA #9 in reloads to help with that issue.

This is Western Powders load data for the 357 Sig.

Screenshot_20230321_063109_Drive.jpg

that cartridge is a pita, but love the power from it!   I use the Lee FCD with the right amount of depth on crimp without any issues of bullet set back.   With such a short neck it's worth the money for security.

On 3/30/2023 at 8:27 AM, K-Tex said:

You're corect in a manner of speaking.   9mm is the caliber for the 357sig, but 9luger is a different story.   This was my mishap as I loaded a 357sig round into a 40s&w.   I bounced down the barrel at hit the target at 50 yards.   Now I have 1 fireformed 40s&w case.

I have seen it done with 9mm Luger in a 357 Sig for an entire mag and the rounds grouped well. Brass was ruined though 

On 4/7/2023 at 9:50 AM, Alaskapopo said:

I have seen it done with 9mm Luger in a 357 Sig for an entire mag and the rounds grouped well. Brass was ruined though 

What firearm was that done in?   Out of curiosity I might chamber 1 (not fire it).

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2023 at 12:31 AM, Alaskapopo said:

You do understand 9mm conversion barrels are made for 40 and 357 Sig slides they are over sized. I have a 9mm Barsto conversion barrel for my Sig 229 in 40 sw. Do some research 

I've never had the desire to neuter my 357 to 9mm, so such aftermarket conversions mean little to me. The OP was asking for upper end loading data for 357 SIG and you expect him to buy a new barrel in a lesser caliber to suit your idea of what he needs instead of giving him what he's asking for. I'm not even going to address your suggestion of shooting 9mm through a 357 barrel.

Thanks for all the help.  I went to the range in my 357 Sig with 125 grain plated extreme

bullets.  I started at 12 and went to 12.7 grains Accurate #9.  Made decent powder.

In my 10mm I loaded a coated 155 grain over 15 grains Accurate #9.  This load

I really like.    Thing is these recipes eat up powder.  I was considering BE-86 because

of lesser powder use.  What are peoples thoughts I have looked around but the load

data seems to be less available with the 86 or should I stay with #9?  Thanks.