Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Tactical sport with ported barrel 9mm

EVANB

8 minutes ago, himurax13 said:

No. No matter which way you go about it, the cost isn't worth it.

If you want to reduce muzzle flip, you can use a lighter recoil spring and or a *thumb rest [generic]*.

will it reduce recoil at least, let's assume cost isn't an issue ? 

Thanks

Cost not issue get a cm barrel and comp , the recoil can be mitigated by grip, thumb rest recoil springs and load data, but that being said I get what you are asking. Have slide stroked, add slide cuts and popple holes added? 

39 minutes ago, Mlussoro said:

Cost not issue get a cm barrel and comp , the recoil can be mitigated by grip, thumb rest recoil springs and load data, but that being said I get what you are asking. Have slide stroked, add slide cuts and popple holes added? 

I have a slide cuts and a SRO installed. I don't like the  looks and added weight of the comp. I thought I would go with ported barrel but wanted to hear from someone who done it on the same gun! 

It depends on what you mean by porting.  Giant, elongated ports like those on some Glock factory barrels are a waste of time.  Ports as in round poppels always reduce recoil and muzzle flip at the expense of a louder report.  Two 3/16" dia. poppels behind the bushing will give you want you want.  Since the poppels will redirect some of the gas, you get less jet effect and lose some velocity.

10 hours ago, EVANB said:

will it reduce recoil at least, let's assume cost isn't an issue ? 

Thanks

It would help if you defined what your perception of recoil is. TBH, I feel little to no recoil when shooting a 9mm Tactical Sports. If you shoot a 147g or heavier projectile at 130 or less power factor through it, it should feel like a .22lr.

Adding a thumb rest would probably reduce any percieved muzzle lift.

11 hours ago, himurax13 said:

No. No matter which way you go about it, the cost isn't worth it.

If you want to reduce muzzle flip, you can use a lighter recoil spring and or a *thumb rest [generic]*.

This ^^^

11 hours ago, EVANB said:

Trying to reduced muzzle flip and reduce the recoil. 

Or buy a gun with a threaded barrel and put a comp on it. 

The OP said he doesn't like the look or weight of a comp.  A lighter recoil spring is not going to reduce recoil.  It will result in more muzzle rise and a high return to zero.  A thumb rest is for locating your hand for a consistent grip.  If you apply a lot of pressure on it to minimize muzzle rise, you push the gun down below zero on the return.

The OP want to reduce muzzle rise and recoil.  The only way to do that within his parameters is to add poppels.

OP, if you add poppels you will have to retune your gun to your load.  If you like your trigger weight, you only have your grip and the recoil spring to work with.  If your gun returns to POA after firing, you are done.  If it returns high, you need a heavier spring.  If low, less weight.

54 minutes ago, zzt said:

The OP said he doesn't like the look or weight of a comp.  A lighter recoil spring is not going to reduce recoil.  It will result in more muzzle rise and a high return to zero.  A thumb rest is for locating your hand for a consistent grip.  If you apply a lot of pressure on it to minimize muzzle rise, you push the gun down below zero on the return.

The OP want to reduce muzzle rise and recoil.  The only way to do that within his parameters is to add poppels.

OP, if you add poppels you will have to retune your gun to your load.  If you like your trigger weight, you only have your grip and the recoil spring to work with.  If your gun returns to POA after firing, you are done.  If it returns high, you need a heavier spring.  If low, less weight.

I believe you are incorrect sir, lighter recoil springs reduce felt recoil, muzzle rise as well as muzzle dip on return on slide to battery. This is how I actually tune my comp and regular pistols, slow motion camera work between each spring will show a significant difference is rise and well as dip, add that to a double tap on target, shot placement with indicate to low or high power of a spring . 

1 hour ago, Mlussoro said:

I believe you are incorrect sir, lighter recoil springs reduce felt recoil, muzzle rise as well as muzzle dip on return on slide to battery. This is how I actually tune my comp and regular pistols, slow motion camera work between each spring will show a significant difference is rise and well as dip, add that to a double tap on target, shot placement with indicate to low or high power of a spring . 

I disagree.  If your gun is tuned properly, substituting a lighter spring will increase muzzle rise and felt recoil because the vertical impact surface is hit harder.   Cycling is slower because dwell time is increased.  The muzzle doesn't dip.  It doesn't come down as far anymore.   So, the second shot of your double tap will hit high.

You tune your gun to your load by varying your grip, recoil spring, mainspring and firing pin stop.  With my grip and load, a standard Cheely Custom radius on the FPS and a 17 lb. mainspring, a 10 lb. recoil spring returns the gun to zero (POA) perfectly with minimal muzzle rise.  The backup gun does the same with a 9 lb. recoil spring.  In my minor Open gun, a 7lb. recoil spring is optimal.

5 minutes ago, zzt said:

I disagree.  If your gun is tuned properly, substituting a lighter spring will increase muzzle rise and felt recoil because the vertical impact surface is hit harder.   Cycling is slower because dwell time is increased.  The muzzle doesn't dip.  It doesn't come down as far anymore.   So, the second shot of your double tap will hit high.

You tune your gun to your load by varying your grip, recoil spring, mainspring and firing pin stop.  With my grip and load, a standard Cheely Custom radius on the FPS and a 17 lb. mainspring, a 10 lb. recoil spring returns the gun to zero (POA) perfectly with minimal muzzle rise.  The backup gun does the same with a 9 lb. recoil spring.  In my minor Open gun, a 7lb. recoil spring is optimal.

All it takes is taking a slow motion video with the same gun comparing the different spring weights and looking at muzzle rise. A lighter spring absolutely decreases muzzle rise and gives you a better return to zero. Can you go too light and make the slide bottom out too fast and return too high? Sure. But an appropriately light spring will work to reduce recoil pretty well.

And in the spirit of the original intent of this post, so will porting your barrel. It's a popular mod that the staccato bros are doing and it definitely reduces recoil. I have no idea who can do this service for the TS platform but CZC or CGW is probably worth emailing they may be able to point you in the right direction. 

On 2/21/2023 at 3:04 PM, CC3D said:

A lighter spring absolutely decreases muzzle rise and gives you a better return to zero.

A lighter spring than what?  When your gun is tuned properly you have the optimal spring weights.  Going lighter is sub-optimal.  So is going heavy.  The only way lighter makes your gun run better is if you had too heavy a spring in there in the first place.

Optimal=least muzzle rise and perfect return to zero.  There is no light or heavy, only optimal.

As far as adding poppels go, any competent machinist can do it.  My local guy charged me $25 to put in three 5/32" poppels.  The slot  had already been milled.  If it had not he would have charged another $25.   You don't have to send it to CZC, and you should never send anything to CGW.

Edited by zzt