Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel No Shoots

GeneralChang

Are steel no shoot targets in the shape of an IPSC metric target legal under USPSA rules? I have done a search which turned up nothing and I recall reading somewhere that they weren't. I was told once that they were. Can someone refresh my memory, please?

Thanks in advance.

Are steel no shoot targets in the shape of an IPSC metric target legal under USPSA rules? I have done a search which turned up nothing and I recall reading somewhere that they weren't. I was told once that they were. Can someone refresh my memory, please?

Thanks in advance.

According to Amidon in a recent column in Front Sight, they are not and I believe it was due the fact that metal penalty targets are defined as poppers or metal plates (i.e. no reference to IPSC metric targets are given in the rule book). However...I believe in IPSC, they do recognize a metal penalty target in the shape of a paper target.

From the July 2005 IPSC rule interpretations:

4.1.3 Penalty targets must be clearly marked or be of a single color different from scoring targets. Penalty metal targets in the general size and shape of authorized paper targets may be used. Penalty metal targets do not have a non scoring border.

Edited by SteveZ

For those of you that shot Area2, does anyone recall the motorcycle stage which had the steel no shoots in by the plate rack? I can't seem to remember if they were shaped like a metric target or if they just rectangular. Heck, I can't even remember if they contrasted with the plates on the plate rack. Again, thanks for any info.

They aren't legal targets (scoring or penalty) in USPSA. Our rule book defines what targets are legal.

IPSC, before the world Shoot, I believe, posted an interpretation (change) that allowed them in IPSC matches.

Unless the USPSA rule gets changed, the thing to do is to paint them as hard-cover, instead of a No-Shoot.

Here is a thread that covers this already:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...&hl=legal+steel